Fuel supply issues 81 diesel van.

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

T3TE
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fuel supply issues 81 diesel van.

Post by T3TE »

Hey guys!

I had an almost scrap van which was restored and transplanted with a Toyota turbo diesel engine. The van was originally a 1.6D.

It ran fine until the fuel tank was removed to replace the gear lever rod bush. After that it doesn't run. The mechanic who did the job was working on such a car for the first time so he didn't really know where all those tank pipe went.

Now the tank is half full but the engine doesn't get any fuel. I would really appreciate if some one can give me diagrams of all the pipes/hoses that go to the tank and explain the use of those two tank under both the front wheels housing. What are they for ? And where do the pipes get connected? I got the car and the those tanks were not connected. Please help!

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Re: Fuel supply issues 81 diesel van.

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

there are some diagrams here on the wiki:

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Fu ... nk_removal" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://wiki.club8090.co.uk/index.php/Fu ... ther_tanks" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the breather tanks are for expansions so that the diesel in the two lumps on either side of the tank can equal out.

It is very common for diesels not to start if the injection pump is starved of diesel - there's probably a lot of air in the supply pipe, and it's hard work for the starter to pull the diesel all the way up from the tank, through the filter and to the injection pump. I would prime the filter if you have one, and use a vacuum device to suck diesel from the tank up to the pump. You're supposed to use fancy vacuum devices, but I use long enough old windscreen washer tube, stick it inside the diesel pipe and use my lungs until I can see it in the washer pipe. If you use this to pull the diesel through the pump from the tank, by attaching it to the return line then you might have some luck.

It is important to note that one side of the tank is intended for fuel supply and one for fuel return. I'd check that first of all, and make sure that when this was done some rubbish possibly at the bottom of the tank didn't get into the pipes or the filter somehow and clog it up.

Hope that helps a bit

Ewen