Which engine to fit? Advice please

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Bendyknees
80-90 Mem No: 2363

Which engine to fit? Advice please

Post by Bendyknees »

The time has come to give my van enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding :) After many years of tootlin round at 50, well 50 on the flat i have decided that slight gradients will no longer be my nemisis. Ive gathered numerous bits an bobs in my garage and now im stuck as to what conversion is going to be easiest and cheapest long term. My van has an Invinsible 1.6d that has put up with years of sadistick abuse(made it to the top of the rock of gibraltar :D whilst fully laden in the height of summer! :twisted: )
In my garage i have a lpg conversion kit, along wit a1.9wbx bellhousing off a gearbox that i fitted to my van the other year. So Do i go to a lpg powered petrol engine or stick to the torque that the dirty diesel gives me and pay £1.20 a litre.
The van is normally pretty well laden and about a third of the time a small trailer as well. so if im doing it i only want to do it once and not regret putting something slightly more powerful in.
Im not a massive fan of ecu driven multi sensor engines, but what else can you fit? Im a compitant mechanic wit quite a few years in classic car conversions but never done anythin like this to a vag. If i need a new gearbox or differant final well ill just have to prybar my wallet open a bit further. Im keeping the van till its pryed from my cold dead fingers so its not like im not gonna get the use from it. So come on and voice your opinions.
Just a thought, has any1 ever fitted an alfa V6 into a T25 :twisted: its a pipe dream i know...........
Transit 2.5????
Or stick with the ones suggested in the other posts ive read
I dont want to spend months on this job and refitting each part twelve times before it fits right, and it needs to be something pretty easy to source.
But lastly but by no means least important. IT MUST BE AS RELIABLE AS THE SUN. My old diesel may be slow but its like the story of the rabbit and the hair. My van always gets there. Hot, cold,wet,snow,even a flood and the tide could not stop it. If it could just make it up a hill without me ending up in 2nd :(
Carlsberg dont do campers.......... but if they did they'd build the T25

1984 Hightop wit a 1600N/A smoker

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: Which engine to fit? Advice please

Post by Titus A Duxass »

Take a look at sticking the VW 2E (2 litre 8V petrol) motor in and fitting your LPG system.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

big red bus
80-90 Mem No: 3421

Post by big red bus »

aaz turbo diesel if you can find a good'en

garyd
80-90 Mem No: 2934

Post by garyd »

I'd suggest the Golf GTi route like Titus but reckon the later AGG engine is a bit more powerful, younger and numerous. Power and torque something akin to the 2.1 Waterboxer. Also a straight fit onto your diesel bits.

I've recently put an AGG into a TD syncro and it enjoys the lower diesel gearing. Third gear is great from about 10mph right through to over 50. And fifty in 4th gear is right on maximum torque at 2,500 rpm.

I was concerned about the ECU wiring but having now done the research (and, more importantly, recorded it all) I would be happy to do it again and can let you have all the wiring info.

Have a look at this thread http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/mkiii ... 52300.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; on Brickyard.

cheers
Garyd
Garyd

1990 Transporter syncro camper
2 litre AGG 'GTi' engine

Bendyknees
80-90 Mem No: 2363

Post by Bendyknees »

Cheers gary.
Have red that page and most associated with it. seems to be a sensible option, however those lil black boxes fill me wit dred. havent seen any1 posting about running theirs on gas but i will go and chat to the local gas man an see whay he says.
There must be a decent motor wit carbs an a propper dizzy, or a smoker with less elecr gadgetry to power nasa.
Carlsberg dont do campers.......... but if they did they'd build the T25

1984 Hightop wit a 1600N/A smoker

_robin
80-90 Mem No: 7188

Post by _robin »

1y or aef - almost a straight swap for your cs and very reliable

see comprehensive write up here:

http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/16cs- ... 24966.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have the aef in my van and while its not exactly quick, its no slouch either - it manages 35 mpg
quattroforum.com

further
80-90 Mem No: 13454

Post by further »

keep it simple, 2e lump in, chuck the little black box and FI. Fit carb with adaptor plate and change to dizzy
with vacuum. As reliable as the rain, with a good kick. :)
90 caravelle
82 combi pickup............................you are either on the bus or off the bus