volvo conversion

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

lughole
80-90 Mem No: 4969

volvo conversion

Post by lughole »

just a wee note to plug a company that has helped me no end...SMT.
Ive recently done a like for like engine change (b230a Volvo red block) the engine supplied from a chap called Gosta in Sweden, the engine he sent was in real good nic and was sent and dispatch quick, ive also had and exhaust from him too which was a good price, postage from Sweden to UK is also ok.
he specializes in VW to Volvo engine conversions, as well as other things.
he also speaks English which is a help.
http://www.smt.nu/default.asp?Expand=2&Display=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Syncro Doka 2.3 b230a

Tree surgery, mobile woodmilling, rare plants. http://www.gardenmatters.biz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. - Eric Blair

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: volvo conversion

Post by t25adict »

hi i would be interested in some pictures of your engine conversion.
ive got a b23 engined pickup.. the exhaust is a bit of a bodge but the rest of the conversion looks quite good..
nice and simple to be honest..
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

this is joe's (lughole) exhaust set up which is the norm with a non turbo engine, they all use the standard volvo manifold then there is a section of 50mm pipe almost bent back on it's self. i will post up a pic of it in the morning if you want? it comes in the kit from STM.

Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

lughole

Post by lughole »

cheers neil!
yeh theres some picks of varing quality here...
http://s922.photobucket.com/albums/ad70/gardenmatters/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
im in germany at the mo and am away from most of my pics but i believe neil (axeman)has the back box part number off mine.
the smt exhaust was a resonable price...
Syncro Doka 2.3 b230a

Tree surgery, mobile woodmilling, rare plants. http://www.gardenmatters.biz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. - Eric Blair

lughole

Post by lughole »

back box volvo part number is;
51 06631
Syncro Doka 2.3 b230a

axeman

Post by axeman »

here is a pic of the down pipe from the manifold to the the back box

neil

t25adict

Post by t25adict »

my downpipe is not as nice as that!! i know the conversion was done in 2007 or earlier as there are documents showing a volvo engine.

will do some pictures during the week..
it looks to be the same carbed engine in mine though..

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

just in case you didn`t know volvo also did a 2490cc stroked version of the b230k engine in the volvo penta boat.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

axeman

Post by axeman »

pound to a piece of pooo that your water pipes are not as nice as mine? if you need a new set made i will pass on the contact info of the people that made them. what do recon of them?

neil

axeman

Post by axeman »

..lee.. wrote:just in case you didn`t know volvo also did a 2490cc stroked version of the b230k engine in the volvo penta boat.

food for thought, but any thing that involves boats normaly means that you will be paying 3 times the price, have you got and figures on this engine? as the f is normaly regarded as one of the worse engines as it was developed for the yanks, de tuned to get the emishions down. in b230 format any how.

how much damage was done to your engine lee?

neil

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

dont know too much about them myself. little first hand experiance but my mate is developing one in his rally car and getting good power for very little money. he found a boat engine cheap. swapped out the 2.3 for the 2.5 and it run 156 bhp @ the wheels which is about 180 / 190 flywheel hp i recon. this season he`s gone for modded head and a rebore to give 2.6 he recons he`ll have 200hp @ the wheels and this is on only 2 carburetter chokes " regs dictate only 2"
not too much damage to my engine neil but its a set back i could do without.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

t25adict

Post by t25adict »

yep the pipes dont look anywhere near as nice..

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

axeman wrote:pound to a piece of pooo that your water pipes are not as nice as mine? if you need a new set made i will pass on the contact info of the people that made them. what do recon of them?

neil
Nice looking pipes would the contact be able to make up the long pipes that flow&return the engine coolent to the rad.Price wise against JK prices.

axeman

Post by axeman »

dont know about the jk one but i would buy them from baxter, you know that they will fit first time with no faffing about, no real point in reinventing the wheel. it was quite hard to get these made as they wanted exact drawings, as would any enginnering company that were making something one off.

neil

t25adict

Post by t25adict »

here is a quick pic of mine.. all ive done so far is changed a i petrol pipe to stop it leaking..
it starts but ... its an auto and the selector cable was broken so its been in drive all the time ive had it.

just got a cable/ rod so i now should be able to start it and let it run for a bit.