TO CHANGE FROM A BASIC 16OO DIESEL TO A PASSAT 2000 TD

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

DUSTY100
80-90 Mem No: 8852

TO CHANGE FROM A BASIC 16OO DIESEL TO A PASSAT 2000 TD

Post by DUSTY100 »

Hi,
I have bought a 1600 1983 T25"Minty" it does seem a bit slow on the hills but will go 50mph with no probs on the flat.
I have had the offer of changing the engine to a Passat 2,000TD and would cost around £650.00 to have fitted.
Do you think it is a good idea?? :? or should I try and get used to the T25 and enjoy the steady pace as I only use it for going on holiday or time off from work.
Pete
:run
"GREETINGS"

phil_b
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: TO CHANGE FROM A BASIC 16OO DIESEL TO A PASSAT 2000 TD

Post by phil_b »

Hi,

Loads of info on this site and posts about alternative engines, best to do a search.

Lots to consider not just the physical engine swop, electronics, futures spares etc if parts are butchered to fit or made one off.

The other big issue is gearing, newer diesels produce power at much lower revs, so you may need to change the gearbox too!

I wouldn't rush into a decision without doing lots of research

Cheers.. Phil
1988 T25 Holdsworth Villa Hightop - AAZ conversion

ewenmaclean
80-90 Mem No: 7306

Post by ewenmaclean »

Hello,

I'm not sure there was a 2 litre turbo diesel passat engine until very recently - you probably mean a 1.9 - it would be good if you knew the code then you could search the posts here and you would find out loads from other people's posts. If it's £650 fitted I reckon it's an AAZ since the TDi costs a fair bit more to sort out. There are loads of posts about that here - if it is, then check the engine you've been offered for pulley wobble as this was a problem on earlier aazs I believe.

Gearbox issue is a good point - you'll rev quite high in top gear even at fairly modest speeds - this is less of a problem with the aaz than the tdi but other posts have good info on this.

Best thing to do is find out the engine code first then look through the wiki and this forum.

Ewen

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

As said.. engine code needed.. TD1900 easier, TDi harder/difficult depending on age, TDi 2000 difficult/very difficult depending on approach..
As also said.. crank pulley needs carefull inspection, its not unknown for them to fly off... making a mess...

gearing will be way too low for the extra power.. the TD will fry itself pretty quick if driven at high revs for long.. so factor in a gearbox swap or pref a rebuild with taller gears... (20 year old worn gearbox wont take kindly to 2x power and 3x the torque going through it over night..)

I am not dissing your installer, just offering information, but anyone thats had their van converted to "aaz" for "not a lot of money" has often found it is a poor install and never ending troubles.. (of course there will be some exceptions as I am sure someone will point out..)

If i remember correctly (dont quote me on this though...) Brickwerks used to charge around 2k for installing (drive in drive out) an aaz, not including engine, but including specific parts to ensure "fit and forget"..

ringo
80-90 Mem No: 1375

Post by ringo »

DUSTY100 wrote: or should I try and get used to the T25 and enjoy the steady pace as I only use it for going on holiday or time off from work.
:run

This one.

The other option feels like a world of pain.

Only change an engine when it goes pop. Or if you have plenty of time and money (and another van to use whilst its off the road).

Good luck...

Ringo
Now driving a big bad VW LT Florida.