ford pinto conversion

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

ford pinto conversion

Post by ..lee.. »

anyone done one, was it any good, probs, ect.

have a few good pinto`s laying around and wondered if they work in a van.

cheers lee
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Re: . . pinto conversion

Post by Aidan »

seen a few, never looked very nice, never driven one - used to be an adapter plate available but I know not where it came from - if the americans had the pinto engine it was probably by KEP and probably badly copied by someone over here who like fud engines

what do the figures look like compared to ours ?

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VW-T25-PINTO-ENGI ... 19c0ca11ba" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Nothing to do with me but saw this on ebay.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Seen one..... As Aidan says.. they doo look horrible...

But.. there are still shed loads of tuning parts available for them pretty cheap and even poss to biuld a 90Hp at 2500rpm engine (used in autotesting)

axeman
80-90 Mem No: 6410

Post by axeman »

do it lee, the seller is only about 15miles away from me and 15miles in the right direction (away from london) so i could pick up the plate then i am sure that we get it to you some how :D

neil
Back in the game with an uncut 2wd panel van

..lee..

Post by ..lee.. »

bloody missed it. never mind too much to spend on a whim. thanks for the offer niel. pinto engine can be very good. 150 bhp easy.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

faggie

Post by faggie »

gb engineering in crewe built the adapter plates in the uk for the 091 box bus boxes sadly i dont think they are still trading , and i think kennedy used to sell the adapters for the beetle gearbox as many people have fitted the pinto in bay window buses and used the beetle gearbox as its loads higher geared than the type 2 gearboxes

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Pintos are boat anchors...why go for Dagenham iron at all? Join the growing numbers of EA827 convertors...easy life (if you like wiring)

busvanman
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by busvanman »

Never saw it run but there is a guy near me who had an rs2000 pinto in a t25 it looked bloody rough in the back, suppose the good side was the wiring was simple, apparently it was a bit mad when it did run it sat for several years and as far as I know the engine and box it was bolted to are still sat in his yard.....reckon the other post is right though would make a good boat anchor..................

..lee..

Post by ..lee.. »

interesting comments on boat anchors. they are commonly called that in the ford scene but thats due to the crossflow being a lighter engine. when you compare them to the t25 alternative engine options like the 5 pot, v6 cossy, rover v8 and vr6 lumps they dont look so anchorish any more.

you can build a healthy pinto for not a lot of money, keep it on carbs and points and condencer, run luminition ignition or factory electronic ignition and factory injection. 130hp and 130 lbs/ft are easy. 220hp and 185lbs/ft if you have deep pockets.