t25 vr6

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

aka-andrew

t25 vr6

Post by aka-andrew »

I'm looking at buying a 2.1 Auto 1990 t25, i also am currently breaking up my vr6 so have everything needed, is it a huge headache to do?

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: t25 vr6

Post by silverbullet »

You'll need to search some of the German T3 tuning company websites and forums. There are a few out there, adaptors are available from the likes of Winkler but the wiring/immobilizer will be the worst bit as I understand it.
You'll be looking at raising the engine hatch too as this is virtually a prerequisite for any non-slanted inline engine conversion and it will destroy a weak or tired transmission...you have been warned.
Are you a practical, ingenious, hands-on kind of VW enthusiast with experience of engine swaps? If not you'll be spending ££££.
Would be great to see one done with a good write-up though :ok
P.S. Is the VR6 auto? You could be on your own. Most modifiers go manual, even though the T3 autobox is reputed to have a much higher torque rating than the 094 trans.

dickspanner
80-90 Mem No: 4641

Post by dickspanner »

As SB said you will need to be a certain type of person to undertake conversions and have certain skills, access to certain facilities.

As I always say, any engine can be made to fit in any vehicle if you have the time and money.

I put a V6 2.9 litre 24v Fuel injected Cosworth engine in my VW crewcab, the logistics appeared easy, but I have seen a few people fall by the way side when it comes to harness mods etc, my loom started with 9 ECUs to run the cosworth vehicle but within 4 days we had got it down to a simple 1 ECU harness.

Mechanics, all parts will need to be checked and replace all weak points....... Gearbox........ I run a DU (i think) box an it manages 220ish BHP at the moment without failure, but a rebuild by AT would be desired. I also have good DK box sat on the shelf.

Good luck, my conversion started when we looked under the bonnet of the Cossy motor and my mate said we should stick that in your crewcab.....

Dickspanner
Crewwy now running a 2.9litre 24V V6 Injection Cosworth motor.Oh the Joy. Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmmmmm

0 to loud with a big grin

Member number 4641

D I C K Spanner

aka-andrew

Post by aka-andrew »

I was in the middle of a mk2 vr6 conversion which to be honest is rather easy as its near enough bolt on but lost interest in that scene. The imobliser isn't a problem as its an obd1 and the build in imobliser's were only on the later obd2's. I have a lock up round the back of a garage but am not allowed to do any welding in it but at the weekend could do some outside as they use the space during the week

It was just a thought, I have the whole engine loom out and also the engine and box (manual) really need to keep it auto though as the girlfriend doesn't like to drive manuals. I'll prob sell the engine box and loom but if I do keep it, then i'll have it on the back burner for completion in the next few years.

slobbo
80-90 Mem No: 3089

Post by slobbo »

I have the VR6 in my Syncro. Has the stock 2.1 Syncro gearbox. Torque curve is similar to the 2.1 wasserboxer just higher up on the chart. Don't know much about the conversion apart from that. Few pictures http://gallery.me.com/kombiman/100540
Cheers
Rob.

You only live once, but if you work it right, once is enough.
1987 2.9 litre VR6 powered Syncro - Westy wannabe.

My site - My obsession - http://www.aircooledcrazy.com
VW Xmas cards - http://www.ceinwen.co.uk