Jx to 1Y transpalnt?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

caveman
80-90 Mem No: 4842

Re: Jx to 1Y transpalnt?

Post by caveman »

The top cable is for the aftermarket cruise control. I installed it mostly because every year we take a trip to the ocean- the bay of Fundy [highest tides in the world] in New brunswick.It's a 10 hours one way, and since we do it in one shot, and my girlfriend doesn't drive, i need to give my leg and poor knee a rest.
Just over the border in the states, i paid less than $3.00 for a us gallon, which is 3.85 liters, so it,s a smaller amount, but still much cheaper. No wonder the US is quickly going down the tubes with such artificially low fuel prices. If you do all the calculations,it's almost a pound cheaper per gallon only 45 minutes south of here.

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

it was back in the late 80's / early 90's over here when we got diesel for as low as 68p per litre, how times have changed.the truckers were in uproar a few years ago about the price hike and protested by blocking up all the fuel stores so nothing could get in or out, i heard they have had a 'special' deal by the government so they dont get involved anymore.which leaves the public sitting ducks to the price increases.also the prices seem to go up a week or so before every bank holiday,imagine the profit during those times with most of the country off to the sea side :shock:

i like the idea of a cruise control mind..gives you more time to watch the fuel needle go down :rofl
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

Caveman when you bashed out for clearance was it only the side panel or the chassis rail included?

caveman

Post by caveman »

yes i also had to attack the top of the frame rail also. Since it's thicker than the panelling, i had to use a BIG prybar to bend it back. At first i tried to grind back the manifold, but it can't be done without also bending the body. I asked my pal who is a welder and he mentioned that it could be cut and welded, by a little problematic as it's cast.Then you run into the problem of how much to cut etc etc.I hated doing it as i like my vehicles to be as unmolested as possible, but at least it's not where i can see it everyday :lol: .The black paint is a product called POR-15, a 3 stage anti rust product.

camper

Post by camper »

Thanks for the reply caveman i managed to get a 1Y inlet manifold today.If i do fit it i will mark up the area requiring clearance.Then work out how to fabricate cut and weld in .Its the chassis rail i dont fancy bashing up.Looking at the inlet manifold it seems it could be cut & shut then aluminium welded loosing the diffrence for clearance to the side panel .

Plasticman
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1948

Post by Plasticman »

I will no doubt be haviing this to do soon, cutting the chassis is not a problem and it can be done in a way that is strong and neat, yes easy benough to modify the manifold or fab a new one but by doing the chassis you are free to fit std parts
mike

caveman

Post by caveman »

You have to be careful where you are to cut the manifold if you go that route. When i first thought of cutting the manifold, it was not where i thought it needed to be done. It's much higher,but on the other hand, it may not affect flow too much . If the truck was brand new, i wouldn't have bent the body, but since there is bits of rust [no rot though] i figured it wasn't too much of a sacrifice- all in the name of power!

rhm
80-90 Mem No: 8710

Post by rhm »

metalmick8y wrote:I will no doubt be haviing this to do soon, cutting the chassis is not a problem and it can be done in a way that is strong and neat, yes easy benough to modify the manifold or fab a new one but by doing the chassis you are free to fit std parts
mike

Hi Mike/guys, one of my new years resolutions is to source a suitable 1Y and get this transplant done. It now seems clear that the best course of action is to use the 1Y inlet manifold as opposed to the current JX set up. Have you (or anyone else) cut intot he chassis rail yet? I've been discussing this with my local garage who will do the transplant for me and there was sharp intake of breath when I mentioned about cutting into the chassis. It could've be the way I descibed it tho!

caveman

Post by caveman »

There's no need to cut the frame rail, only to " persuade" i.e bash in the metal above the frame, but also a little of the frame. Looking at it closely, it doesn't seem to affect anything , except perhaps your sense of esthetics.
I found someone who had a 1.8 gas engine in their T3, put went the AAZ route and has an Audi 80 exhaust manifold and downpipe to get rid of, which should improve my power even more. Will report asap.

camper

Post by camper »

caveman wrote:You have to be careful where you are to cut the manifold if you go that route. When i first thought of cutting the manifold, it was not where i thought it needed to be done. It's much higher,but on the other hand, it may not affect flow too much . If the truck was brand new, i wouldn't have bent the body, but since there is bits of rust [no rot though] i figured it wasn't too much of a sacrifice- all in the name of power!
Caveman can you advice me where you need to cut the manifold .Ive been making inquires regarding cutting the manifold i thought close to where the bolt holes and remove aprox 50mm then weld.The inlet manifold looks diffrent to yours in the pict mine has a casting for a egr valve which brings it closer to the cam cover.So i need to consider how much to cut and where on the manifold where it would give clearance away from the chassis rail & side panel but not to interfere where its close to the cam cover.Any advice from members would be appreciated.

camper

Post by camper »

Ive been searching the net for some answers to my own question about the 1Y engine inlet manifold .I found a topic which seems to help http://www.brick-yard.co.uk/forum/aaz-i ... page2.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; .Theres a nice pict of the 1Y inlet manifold fitted to a AAZ installed in a T25 thank you Mr Baxtor.As can be seen its a close fit to the sidewall chassis rail but it dont appear to much of a problem massaging the panel & chassis for it to fit.I think now i will go down that route rather than cut the inlet manifold.

t25adict
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by t25adict »

im just part way through fitting a 1y.
ive fitted the 1.6 inlet manifold to it at the moment but while bolting up the manifold minus the air box i kind of wondered if it would be worth making a plenum chamber type setup fot the standard manifold instead.

this is partly because i want to ad a turbo at a later date and partly because i dont want to mod the van body.
WHY T3's.... because they are just so adictive, and having one just aint enough