Jx to 1Y transpalnt?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

rhm
80-90 Mem No: 8710

Jx to 1Y transpalnt?

Post by rhm »

Hi folks, looking for your thoughts on the above. Any one done this who can give a cmparison as to relative economy, driveability between the two?

Im essentially looking for more torque with a view to getting up more hills without dropping down to a crawl.

I was happy with the JX overall but due to oil burn issues Ive an opportunity to upgrade / change as suitable. I know the AAZ will give me a slight power increase but I like the idea of going simple with a n/a lump like the 1Y. Bulletproof, tried and tested set up with very little to go wrong. I acc ept its a slight pwer loss on the JX but was wondering how/where this power loss occurs.

Any experiences, views, ideas will be greatly welcomed.

Cheers m'dears

langb20
80-90 Mem No: 9567

Re: Jx to 1Y transpalnt?

Post by langb20 »

defo worth tryin the search function on here or brickyard, someone has done a proper step by step guide on this exact transplant
'82 TDI project camper
'85 AAZ Panel daily drive

syncropaddy
80-90 Mem No: 1019

Post by syncropaddy »

jebiga41 has had a 1y in his syncro and went all over Europe in it. Its currently in his single cab pick up and going strong after a few gazillion miles. Send him a PM
syncropaddy

One Syncro, five Mercedes Benzs and a rocket ship

rhm
80-90 Mem No: 8710

Post by rhm »

Cheers buddy, will do, many thanks

armyphil
80-90 Mem No: 6328

Post by armyphil »

It's easy to do like you mentioned rarely go wrong, sometimes it feels like it needs a turbo but for ease of transplant and cruising ability I don't think you can go wrong.

I get around 32mpg with mine fully loaded at 55-60 mph all in all I recommend the 1y
You can say alot of of things with "ar"

1984 syncro westfalia

caveman
80-90 Mem No: 4842

Post by caveman »

I finally fitted a proper 1Y intake manifold on my 1.9 na and left my pal with his 1.6 TD in the dust.Of course i have a modified injection pump which lets it pull strong past 4000 rpms. More horsepower and way more torque than a stock JX. Once i get the larger exhaust installed, it should be fantastic. Not fast from a dead stop, but once rolling it's got tons until 120 kph

weldore
80-90 Mem No: 5833

Post by weldore »

any pics caveman ?(of the intake manifold :lol: )
the word 'pissing' is safe

Dave and gail.....1983 Pop Top 1.9n/a diesel (aka Ready Steady Eddie)

caveman

Post by caveman »

Here you go. It's plumbed to a Donaldson truck air filter. 2 1/2 " hose from end to end.

You can see where i had to pound out the body to make room for it, which you all told me i had to do- much to my disgust. I also had to lift the engine with 3 thick washers to keep it from rubbing and even then ground the holes for the mounts so i could move the whole thing over to the right by another 1/4 ". Next is to connect the snorkel to the air filter. Problem there is that the air filter is so large it fills the whole space at the bottom of the "d" pillar. I'm now looking for some very flexible 2 1/2 " water proof hose . I must say it made a big difference from the 1.6 air box/intake manifold i was using.

weldore

Post by weldore »

on my other thread about the exhaust and air intake i tried to fit it in ,but gave up.then i chucked the intake away and a good few months after i read on here about grinding the side away from the intake to make it fit !!! .i suppose if you go too far with the grinding then chemical metal will fill it hole back up.i wished id kept it now..especially as you say its boosted your perfomance.
what do you have on your fuel pipe? is it a one way valve or a primer thats covered up ?

caveman

Post by caveman »

Re the fuel pipe, do you mean the hose that runs down from the thing with the aluminum heat shield wrapped around it? That is a Vegetherm inline heater for when i'm running on VO. I would definitely reconsider installing the proper intake. I was using my KY intake which i welded the intake ports to match up to the shape of the inlets of the head . I would say there was a 5-10 % increase in midrange torque. It's easy to tell by the much less loss of speed on hills; it only slows on the longer grades-as long as i've keep momentum up before climbing. Pulls strong in each gear, except at top speed, passing is no problem ,and i can keep up in even crazy Montreal traffic. It's only when i reach cruising speed [110 kph with my 5 speed' 4.86 R&P] that i have to get out of the fast lane.

weldore

Post by weldore »

nice setup,especially the box ratio.
there are good arguments for keeping it unturbo'd.one is the less stuff to go wrong and over here(i think)you pay more on insurance if its got a turbo,so sucking out every last bit of power is always gonna be a bonus

so how much do you pay at the pump caveman?..i thought fuel was real cheap over you way..just wondering because of the VO setup

caveman

Post by caveman »

I bought diesel today at 110/liter. Not as much as you, i'm sure , but getting up there. I had a shop doing VO conversions, but operating a garage on the island of Montreal is very expensive, plus having an evil landlord made me ditch . It's getting harder to get WVO in any quantity any more as there are quite a few recuperation companies fighting for it, now that biodiesel has become a commodity now. I now can only collect enough for myself and a friend of mine. I like the fact that it cuts emissions so much. Takes the guilt out of standing on the throttle all the time.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

I like your 1Y setup caveman i wish i had not discarded the inlet manifold that came with the engine.I will try and get one then take time getting a good clearance between the side panel.My engine runs well but i am not getting good MPG and a bit sluggish .I am using the !Y exhaust manifold but with a CS inlet the engine is in good condition &timed correctly but it could do with breathing more efficantly .I didnt fit the 1Y inlet manifold when i installed the engine due to not wanting to bash out clearance on the side panel .I will may cut out out and fabricate to make a job of it for the inlet manifold

caveman

Post by caveman »

Its a shame to have to bash out the body like i did, and while i was doing it, i was thinking that it had be better worth it, but once driven, i forgot about all the smashing with a hammer. Letting the engine breath really helped.As for the exhaust, remember that a diesel is not like a gas engine , that needs some back pressure to scavenge the spent gasses out of the head. In other words-the bigger the exhaust the better,[within reason of course] . Going by the inlet size of 2 1/2 " it would be safe to say that if you could keep that 2 1/2" all the way from the collector size of the exhaust manifold though to the tailpipe. Mine is now about 2 '" and want to go bigger, but am having trouble finding the proper muffler that will fit .

weldore

Post by weldore »

whats the other cable below the throttle cable?
wow..did a conversion of canadian dollars to english gbp :shock:

your paying 68 p per ltr to our £1.20(more at some stations) :(

so in comparision to what we pay..your getting around 60 mpg :shock: