How much engine oil?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

vern4130
80-90 Mem No: 7905

How much engine oil?

Post by vern4130 »

Hi everyone,

I have a Mk2 Gti 8v (think its digifant) engine with the original t25 1.7 diesel sump.

I want to change the oil but am not sure how much to put in, I have been topping up based on the dipstick (I top up quite often) but I'm not sure whether to put in what the haynes for the golf engine says or use the dipstick

does anyone have any experience of this? I know overfilling is not good but I have the added problem that neither of the oil pressure switches are connected for some reason (another job on the list) so I cant know if I'm too low either :?

Any advice on this would be great as my oil is black as the night at the mo :oops:

Thanks all,

Mark
1987 Transporter, Originaly 1.6 Diesel NA, now 1.8 Petrol Gti PB engine

geordie skydiver
80-90 Mem No: 2988

Re: How much engine oil?

Post by geordie skydiver »

You could always drain it, measure the amount, then refill with the same, topping up as req'd.
Lee

Learn to skydive with me.... www.skydiveacademy.org.uk

charlie brown syndrome
80-90 Mem No: 8272

Post by charlie brown syndrome »

geordie skydiver wrote:You could always drain it, measure the amount, then refill with the same, topping up as req'd.
but how accurate would that be considering he's been topping it up a lot?
i would be tempted, if you cant get reliable information saying otherwise to fill it to about 4.5litres, that would be about what a normal car engine would take i'd have thought, dont be tempted to keep topping up though unless it definately needs it, and then you'd need to ask the question(if its frequently being topped up) where it the oil's going for you to need to top it up all the time.

vern4130
80-90 Mem No: 7905

Post by vern4130 »

Thanks guys, think the rocker was leaking so nipped up the bolts and filled up with fresh oil :) have to see how it goes...
1987 Transporter, Originaly 1.6 Diesel NA, now 1.8 Petrol Gti PB engine