MORE JX to AAZ UPGRADE QUESTIONS

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

vantheman
80-90 Mem No: 2147

MORE JX to AAZ UPGRADE QUESTIONS

Post by vantheman »

Hi

Have been following the postings on this forum for at least 2 years and as
a result have purchased a T25 panel van (JX diesel) and now the engine
has expired (at 145K) an AAZ replacement engine from a '94 Ibiza.

Now I have the two engines side by side and after studying the MacWilliam
posting , the following questions occur.

1) There appear to be 2 schools of thought re which manifolds/turbo to use: as I understand it.

a) Use the AAZ as standard but modify the LH engine bearer and
fabricate a new exhaust pipe. Move air filter to new position.

b) Use the JX inlet/exhaust manifolds / turbo with the manifolds fettled/
gas flowed to suit AAZ ports .Modify turbo support Buy plug & oil return pipe from Mr Baxter
This way you can keep the air filter and existing exhaust setup unchanged.

Assuming my suppositions above are correct I would prefer option (A) my
inclination being to keep the rig as standard as possible, but where do you
site the air filter?. The obvious place is next to the battery but there does not appear to be sufficient room to house the necessary ducting .
ANY SOLUTIONS PLEASE.

2) My AAZ fuel pump appears to be different to the one shown in the MacWilliam posting in that it appears to sit higher than that shown and does not have an immobilizer., moreover with its two stage throttle linkage it will sit well proud of the engine cover.

I have seen postings suggesting reducing the height of the pump by utilizing the JX throttle linkage and removing items from the pump. I have also seen ideas to overcome this by lowering the whole engine/transmission by packing / refabricating the support bars,
although no maximum amount of drop permissible was shown.
AGAIN ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MOST WELCOME
Member no 2147

MacWilliam
80-90 Mem No: 1871

Post by MacWilliam »

Hi
The air filter goes behind the right hand side lights. Complete with ducting up the side of the van. You keep the left hand side free for a nice intercooler. That's the next bit of work i am going to do. There should be enough room along the top back of the engine compartement for you air filter to turbo ducting.

Dont drop the engine! The accelerator bits are easy doctored. Post a picture of your engine and more people will help as pics are worth a million words.

:D
William

andyel
80-90 Mem No: 1532

Post by andyel »

I spent nearly two years typing a very long and detailed reply to you,pressed preview ,log on screen appears and my efforts lost!
bugger!
Condensed version.
For straightforward conversion using off shelf parts-choose jx turbo etc (that you already have most of).
For hours spent underneath van in winter-use AAZ turbo.
engine mount useable but oil pipe no good.
exhaust pain to mate to jx frontpipe.
battery and its tray need moving to fit airbox on o/s.
no trunking in rear post as on n/s.
As for fuel pump,session with vice and hacksaw will have that lid nearer to closing,you will still need a hole in it though.
and a mod to solve the short throttle cable problem.
did read of some one just yanking on it until it reached but maybe not best solution. :lol:
caution- anything preceding this could be pure fantasy or just lies.The voices made me do it.
Andy

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

To me keeping the conversion as bolt together as possible makes more sense.
AAZ inlet, JX exhaust manifolds, resite airbox behind LEFT hand rear light cluster.
This way you get an exhaust than can be bought off the shelf and you don't have to hack (weaken) the left hand engine mount.
I wouldn't bother dicking about with the AAZ exhaust manifold, too much work for what can be a simple operation, why make work for yourself and make it a worse job?
Doing it this way you only need to make a few things, turbo oil feed pipe and turbo oil retirn pipe, it's really simple, unless you make life hard for yourself by keeping the AAZ stuff.
The AAZ turbo will mate quite happily to the JX manifold with only a few simple mods to the turbo and you get to use an off the shelf downpipe without having to cobble something together.
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks