which subaru ?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

tinman
80-90 Mem No: 6155

Re: which subaru ?

Post by tinman »

That is impressive. Well done.
Any info or advise you want to give me will be welcomely recieved.
Have you any more pics you'd like to share?

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Hi is that a canbus motor ?

Andy

GBA 88 WEST LA wrote:hello all im a newbie :pimp ive recently done a 07 sub impreza 2.5 dohc 175 hp conversion non turbo, drive by wire, the motor is amazing tourque to spare, idles very nice but only drawback is the stock tranny , my stock trans with 79k og miles blew the 3rd/4th slider within 500 miles of conv :evil: but i have a modified tranny to couple up with it now
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

GBA 88 WEST LA
80-90 Mem No: 7489

Post by GBA 88 WEST LA »

its a OBD II engine out of an 07 Impreza , the wiring harness and OBD set up came from Hans@ Vanaru, along with the set up for the speed sensor & fly by wire gas pedal...in the US the 2.2s are getting hard to find with low miles, thats originally what i was looking for..the 2.5's packs a lil more HP @170, but not alot of folks have the issues worked out with them ...the speed sensor apparently is causing some issues with stalling and surging on the automatics.. but mines a manual tranny so i havent had that issue... its a beast :mrgreen: flat out-de tuned..i can get another 20hp if i wanted but theres no need :ok

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Hi GBA,
Welcome

Andy also has a 2.5 in his rather nice Syncro Multivan, I drove the car it came out of as well as his van, and it is indeed a perfect engine for these vehicles, makes driving a very pleasant experience.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

GBA 88 WEST LA
80-90 Mem No: 7489

Post by GBA 88 WEST LA »

Hi Harry: thanks for the welcome..Cheers!
the engine is a perfect match..best of all it looks like it belongs there...hows it go .....Heart(subi motor) & Soul (vanagon) equals harmony..i like this forum alot nice break from the US Forums..plus i have what i call pond envy.. for the models and aftermarket vendors that are not in US..very cool

IainG
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by IainG »

I've got the chance of a 2.0 but with a high roof bus I'm wondering if it will be lacking in power. Anyone done this and wished they'd gone bigger?

Cheers

Iain

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

IainG wrote:I've got the chance of a 2.0 but with a high roof bus I'm wondering if it will be lacking in power. Anyone done this and wished they'd gone bigger?

Cheers

Iain

would still be more bhp than stock 112bhp from a 2.1!!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Cableguy
80-90 Mem No: 8585

Post by Cableguy »

Couldn't imagine driving a van with a stock motor.
Mine has the right amount of power for the way I like to drive.
:-)

IainG
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by IainG »

I think my 112 horses are a bit malnourished, so I'm sure the 2.0 would be an improvement. On the other hand, I'm unlikely to wish I had less power.... :twisted:

tinman
80-90 Mem No: 6155

Post by tinman »

Hey you've restarted my old post-well done,its good looking back.
Eventually I chose the 2.5 quad cam, with mostly RJES conversion parts.( Richard was really helpful too and had some lengthy telephone conversations with him)
It is fantastic, it goes really well and is as fast uphills as it is on the flat. It can be quite scary at times as I don't think these old buses are meant to be this fast!
The only pitfalls I've found are- The sump is too low which has prevented me from lowering the van!
Fuel economy is not great but probably comparable to the 1.9dg.
Thats it!!

I'll be taking it off the road at the end of October or maybe a bit sooner and through the winter I'll hopefully be.
Making a better exhaust
modifying the sump
Lowering the van
Fitting powerflex bushes
Overhauling the brakes.
I hope this helps with your decision :D

sandwedge
80-90 Mem No: 7352

Post by sandwedge »

Hi found this thread very usefull.
I have a question, has anyone here done the SVX 6 cylinder conversion?
What is involved any body mods, is stock cooling sufficient, Im not after high reving power but low down torque to get a heavy 16" syncro high top camper moving and keep it going when on hils :D

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

SyncroPete has the SVX in his 16" panel workshop van currently in Africa, he does still lurk occassionally :o

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Check the Smallcar site for SVX conversion info.
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

IainG wrote:I've got the chance of a 2.0 but with a high roof bus I'm wondering if it will be lacking in power. Anyone done this and wished they'd gone bigger?

Cheers

Iain

would still be more bhp than stock 112bhp from a 2.1!!

Very few WBXs will be putting out 112 bhp, none on unleaded. On the other hand, it's not know for certain that the Subaru 2.2s put out the oft claimed 125~135 bhp when installed in a T25, with a different exhaust and usually non-standard inlet system.

But hey, I'm sure their torque curve is quite impressive and sufficient enough unto the cause...

Sandwedge, yes, apart from SyncroPete's there is at least one other SVX in the UK, possiby 2 or 3. You'll find the clutch needs paying particular attention to... :shock:
No extra cutting but a tight fit, even the inlet manifold can be turned 180 with some work to make things easier

The 2.0 is no doubt a noticeable improvement over the WBX 1.9 & 2.1, for many reasons other than just power and torque.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

I had mine dyno'd not long after I fitted it all in, I was getting 145bhp at the flywheel with a few tweeks to the ecu program, I was told with a more free flow exhaust and smoother gearbox I would get more at the wheels, I have changed the exhaust and now have an Aiden special box fitted and it really shifts now!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB