Anyone done a 1Y conversion?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Hairbear
80-90 Mem No: 0

Anyone done a 1Y conversion?

Post by Hairbear »

Had this on old forum but......

I have diesel bellhousing, bars and all from a 1.6TD and a nice 59K complete Golf.

I've got a friend helping me do this now who assures me I need to change the flywheel? Thought I had to just put spigot shaft bearing in?

Also, what air filter assembly to use? Mod. Golf one from donor?

What clutch to use?

Can I use TD exhaust pipe parts or make up something from Golf manifold to JX rear box?

No I need to change rad?

What 'box to use 1.6TD or 2.1i - not got codes yet.

Sorry for all the questions but i'm paying him to help / do some of this work and want to prempt any probs.

Thanks

Gareth

andyel
80-90 Mem No: 1532

Post by andyel »

presume tdi has pull clutch as aaz so flywheel unuseable.
look on old forum for clutch thread in engine forum,alternative flywheel and clutch ideas there.
airbox-its a question of space in the engine bay.the turbo on my aaz sits where the jx box lived.the only place the aaz box could go is on the o/s,
but the coolant header tank & battery live there.
there seem to be a few people who have got round this problem,perhaps they will have some input.
after much deliberation i made a pipe linking the original jx front pipe to turbo,using part of aaz front pipe (for the flange mainly) and the tailpipe off jx box!
not ideal i admit and will be rethought in time.
wish i had fit tdi.more horses for not much more hassle than aaz.
will be interested how you get on.
how do you plan to tackle electronics?fit the lot or do away with what you can?