TSR Subaru conversion - Has anyone had one done?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: TSR Subaru conversion - Has anyone had one done?

Post by silverbullet »

lloydy wrote:
something more Teutonic in origin.

Has to be an ur quattro engine, the right era, and if its your SA bus its built for a 5 cylinder engine
I won't be spoiling the 2.6 unless I get really bored :shock:
The Subaru is currently in the silver Wagenwerks bus: SA but 1990, small window, low floor... the Scoob never felt "right" to me somehow. I think that 5 pots is the minimum requirement don't you? :wink:

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

the TSR short sump comes from Germany I was told so possibly the other bits do too

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

Aidan wrote:the TSR short sump comes from Germany I was told so possibly the other bits do too

When I did mine I spoke to TSR for a good while on the phone, helped me a lot with what bits work well etc ,like fuel pumps, exhaust etc etc , there conversion bits like adapter plate and flywheels are all made in Germany, from there plans, they tried loads of UK firms to make um but no one would get close to a price that would make um worth while!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Pepperami
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 4608

Post by Pepperami »

From personal experience I would go with RJES and Toomany toys. 2.2 I believe is the way to go.

Oh by the way I paid them a £500 deposit before getting bad reports and cancelling they wouldn't return any calls or emails. They also use Jap import engines. I lost my deposit.
fullthrottlejunkies.org

Ollie
80-90 Mem No: 3225

Post by Ollie »

Dont go TSR! I had mine done there, it was basically thrown in there. Lots of issues..... Same thing happened to a friend of mine that used TSR. That van is history too....

Ollie

Eta-Beta

Post by Eta-Beta »

Hi Ollie, is yours the blue one that had a fire? The one that had the starters cable chafing, ended up welding it self to chassis and setting all on fire. Maybe not, just wondered. Ash
T25 Vanaru EJ25

Ollie
80-90 Mem No: 3225

Post by Ollie »

ha ha no........ poor velle..

DEVO

Post by DEVO »

I rang that tsr crowd twice to suss out some parts for a conversion and the girl on the other end of the fone said someone would ring me back with prices,etc.They never did,
1980 T25 Ex-German Army

markr
80-90 Mem No: 3021

Post by markr »

Also doing a Subaru conversion, RJES top quality components and service, everything fits as expected, very detailed installation CD.
3021, 1986 Devon Moonraker, pop top with the aerospace roof. Subaru Imprezza powered.

dunnie2351

Post by dunnie2351 »

I rang TSR just last week and i basically said, id like to use you for my DIY T25 too subaru power, can you tell me what parts are used and prices please........the reply i got was, email TSR and we'll get back to you.. i havnt heard anything or got an email since..

so it seems like they dont require any more work/business...so ill be using RJES and retro speed, ill happily give them my money and business, as i spoke to these chaps and was well informed in regards or what i need, prices etc.

futbus
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1266

Post by futbus »

I think that TSR are using parts from Smallcar in america. there was rumours that new engines and alot of new products coming to the UK but all being developed by Smallcar and bought in by TSR and sold in the UK. Not heard anything recently tho, so dont know whats happening, but you could put a post up on VZi as the volume of people on there is alot higher than on here.

ally
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by ally »

I got my loom prepared and some other bits posted from TSR. No problems with them, something got lost in the post and they replaced no qualms.

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

ally wrote:I got my loom prepared and some other bits posted from TSR. No problems with them, something got lost in the post and they replaced no qualms.

Finally some one in the TSR corner! I must point out I have had my TSR conversion (all done by me tho) for nearly 7 years now and its still fine!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Fin
80-90 Mem No: 8714

Post by Fin »

I've found quite the opposite to most - after doing a load of research - I've talked with both camps - unfortunately RJES can't fit my loom work in soon enough, he's really busy - understandably so.
I'm going to get TSR to do my loom while I'll buy the RJES housing and kits as they seem to be most complete.
I think if you like tinkering both will do the job fine - RJES seem to want to fool proof everything and are very busy because of this.
I'd not take an engine conversion on, on a whim though and I'd expect a few months of dallying about to get it right.
Big thumbs up to anyone doing parts for these - the old Gals are long in the tooth - and you've got to expect for the worst really.
Single cab pickup, running 1996 Subaru WRX STI engine, Aiden talbot gearbox.

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

I'm back in love with ours after giving it a wazz up the Close and back. High time it was back on the road. RJES exhaust is not great for long journeys though! It's had issues with wiring mind you, it was a very early EJ conversion (not by me) and I understand that TSR were the only people in the game back then and they didn't exactly connect all the wires...