TSR Subaru conversion - Has anyone had one done?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

pouch
80-90 Mem No: 2753

TSR Subaru conversion - Has anyone had one done?

Post by pouch »

I am just thinking about having a conversion done by the guys at TSR and wanted to hear from anyone who had experience of their work.

my 2.0l Aircooled lump is sick and needs a rebuild, I am also traillering around a car for racing this year and even a good 2.0ltr Aircooled is a problem on the hills. So either a van change or an engine change.

I am busy on the race car at the mo so dont have time to fit the Subaru any suggestions?

I spoke with Richard at RJS who was very helpful and is lookng as a few options, but thought I would give you guys an ask as well.

Thinking about either a 2.0 / 2.2 or 2.5 depending on what engine comes available.
1981 Aircooled Danbury - Standard 2.0 Cu, with LPG from Gasure

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

Have seen one of their conversions and my advise is don't

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Ill do it for you...

but going from air to watercooled is a pain...

pouch

Post by pouch »

Thanks Mate,

I am a bit concerned about cutting the van open and sticking in a rad!
I made some enquiries and it looks like I can get the CU engine rebuilt and modified to give some good pulling power.

Going to cost the same as a scooby though!

In the 8 years I have had the van, I've never seen anyone post on here with a CU modified to 2.4ltr..!

Seems like a easy rebuild, though I will definately need head work, cams and new carbs..

At least I'd still be Aircooled 8)

wackos00
80-90 Mem No: 4231

Post by wackos00 »

Im in the process of fitting a 2.2 scooby in my 2l Aircooled, not much cutting to fit a rad, only for the grill, and some mounts have to be made up, it would be easyer with a w c van but i couldnt get rid of my van just cos the engine stopped working! defo go the RJES route, everything he produces is to such a high standard.
1982 2l Aircooled bus slowly turning into a scooby powered camper

pouch

Post by pouch »

Cheers Wackso00.

RJS were very helpful, glad to hear the bits are high quality!

markscoot
80-90 Mem No: 4915

Subaru

Post by markscoot »

Also doin one myself at present. Spoke to Richard at RJES , smashin bloke,Quality parts,knows his stuff. The other lot dont seem to have the quality of finish,they just build em to run. Get hod of someone whos breakin a water cooler and get all your cooling gear off it. You can stay warm in the winter and even clear your screen! :lol:
Lambretta Rude Boy!
2.2 Subaru Legacy powered T25 camper
Yamaha GP 800 Jet ski
Lambretta LI 225 TS1
Golf Cabrolet Mk3
Vespa GTS 300ie Super

Eta-Beta

Re: TSR Subaru conversion - Has anyone had one done?

Post by Eta-Beta »

so can anyone give more info on TSR,,,, is there stuff poor quality? or justfitted badly,,,, been offered a kit made by them,,, any one any pics of there exhausts ,adapter to auto, and engine cradle ?? ta
T25 Vanaru EJ25

lance
80-90 Mem No: 3771

Post by lance »

i have a complete scooby up for grabs give me a call 01985851232 was gonna use it for a conversion myself but far to busy now :ok
look back on the for sale forum

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

I converted my van nearly 6 years ago to scooby, I used the TSR adapter plate, flywheel, and clutch kit. There adapters were all that was available back then, you either paid them a lot or searched the states (KEP) for bits or did it yourself! Rjes was trying to set up in business back then, just starting to make the very first sand cast for his bell housings!

I have had the same adapter and flywheel from them since the start and never had a problem with them! End of the day they covert alot of bays to scooby so they do know there stuff!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

Aidan
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 742

Post by Aidan »

I've seen evidence of allignment issues with every gearbox I've worked on that came out of a TSR adapter plate installation, including James's, but I've never been upclose and dirty with the parts to see how they fit what they are or why that might be
KEP stuff is good from what I've seen but I recommend RJES stuff

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

I was gonna use these people http://www.johnmaherracing.co.uk/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to do a engine for my beetle [type4 conversion] which i understand is the same as in these buses?
Very high quality work
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

My Microbru (tm) is an early TSR 2.2 offering I believe, but not completely sure. Goes really well, fairly economical and sounds outrageous around town with the rjes exhaust but...I am daydreaming about maybe outing it in favour of something more Teutonic in origin. Dunno. Maybe I'm just spoiled and bored.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

something more Teutonic in origin.

Has to be an ur quattro engine, the right era, and if its your SA bus its built for a 5 cylinder engine
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

Eta-Beta

Post by Eta-Beta »

spoke to rjes today,,, and richard reckons TSR dont actually make any of the adapters plates,,,, there fetch them in from oversea`s,,,, rang TSR and also said would take 4 weeks to arrive,,, any body know who` s kit it may be then??
T25 Vanaru EJ25