AAZ intercooler

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

AAZ intercooler

Post by andysimpson »

Does fitting an intercooler to the AAZ make a noticable difference. I know the 1.6td's in the golfs had 70bhp without and 80 bhp with, but they also had different injection pumps and injectors which could account for some of that difference.

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Fitting the intercooler will give you more scope for tuning!
Some people retro fit the GTD injectors into AAZ's as they have bigger nozzles but the AAZ has 2 stage injection.
Without the intecooler you won't be able to raise the boost pressure or fuelling to full effect.
AAZ's maybe 200cc up on the lowly 1.6TD but they are are only 5hp more(yes, I know, more torque..).
Fitting a boost aneroid from a GTD, GTD injectors, intercooler and oil cooler with a few mods should see 100hp+
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

Simon i received my parts on friday, thankyou.

I think i will leave the intercooler idea for now and see how slow it is, i have a chargecooler but it would need mounting over the other side of the engine bay so lots of pipework which may end up reducing power.