Aircooled to Watercooled?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Craig G
80-90 Mem No: 0

Aircooled to Watercooled?

Post by Craig G »

Too much of a pain in the ass?
Would i be better of selling my van and replacing with watercooled already installed? :lol:

Currently got a 2ltr a/c and i'm just thinking out aloud at the moment but its something i'd quite like to do

I know everything is feasible but you never know if you dont ask :D

matt
80-90 Mem No: 397

Post by matt »

depends how nice your van is ? (as in how many miles a year, how long you keeping)
and how good you are at electronics and spanners?..

Martin who posts on here has an 1980 Aircooled running a scirocco 1.8..

unless you plan to mess about with engine options, the i believe a 1.9 wbx should go in, but you will need the rad and pipes at the same time

bet you dont miss derby
:)

Craig G

Post by Craig G »

Dont do loads and loads of miles,i suppose i just want more power...probably being greedy :lol:

Dont miss Derby one little bit,its great down here :D

matt

Post by matt »

oh, and i think gearbox is ok from yours

Dud
80-90 Mem No: 2029

Post by Dud »

I have an Aircooled and have often woundered how people go about putting watercooled engines in them.

Do people usually end up cutting another hole in the front for a radiator grill, or is there another way around it?
(82 Aircooled Autosleeper)

Craig G

Post by Craig G »

Not sure really whether you'd have to?
Could you not fit a couple of radiators to the chassis at an angle?
Someone will probably flame me for that :lol:

matt

Post by matt »

I think, but could be wrong, that the bloke prior to Martin had tried the rad in the back, but couldnt get the air flow right ??

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

Russel at Syncronutz puts watercooled engines in Aircooled buses from time to time. However, that would obviously cost you a fair bit - but then you'd get a job very well done and benefit from the guy's expertise.
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

bigbluebus
80-90 Mem No: 589

Post by bigbluebus »

yey something I can comment on cos I have successfully done *most* of this job.

Changed my 82 2.0 air cooled to water cooled that is. The way I did mine I was still running van round with air cooled fitted until I had an engine lined up.

Far and away the best way to do this is buy a scrap van (paid £50 for a 1.9 single cab in my case) that way you should have pretty much all the bits you need, and if it has a good engine *bonus*

starting at the front,

remove lower grill from donor, measure the hole and carefully cut a same size hole in your van. I used a grinder. Be careful of the 2 bars just behind this panel (can't think what they are for). Clean up & rust proof the edges, drill some holes and self tapper the grille on.

get under donor, take complete spare wheel carrier off (easy), drain radiator by disconnecting the rad & heater pipes as they come out near fuel tank. Disconnect rad wiring (careful with the wires, you need them), undo 4 bolts at bottom of rad (support rad!) and remove from van.

back to front of donor van, remove upper grill if you haven't already and you'll see a horizontal piece of metal spot welded to fron bulk head under screen. Chisel this off n keep it, its the upper rad mount. Up to you at this point, I rust proofed & painted the rad fan cowling & rad brackets.

get inside donor and remove metal dash, yeh, the whole dash, but keep the heater control panel in a safe place. Remove the entire heater box incl wiring and lift it, and the pipes up and out the van. Keep the control panel with it. Now, preference again, the hole you pulled the heater pipes up through is a different shape on a water cooled to an air cooled so what I did was cut a rectangle of the metal from the w/c around the hole and screwed it over the hole in a/c so the rubber grommit round the pipes fit properly. Again, clean edges & rust proof.

still inside donor, trace the wires from fuse box down to the radiator wiring and remove. It should all just unplug.

Right, at this point fit all these bits to your air cooled, in reverse order to how you took them out the donor. All the bolt holes are there in an a/c anyway. *With the top rad mount, I found there were holes in the upper bulk head anyway so with the a/c dash out, just bolt it up instead of welding it*.

Bugger, got to go, err more later if you want it :wink:
member 589, ex syncronaut 42, Stoxkarts #600

http://www.stoxkarts.co.uk/

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

You gonna stick that up in the wiki wiki wild wild pedia, Andy? Be useful if it were there....
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

Craig G

Post by Craig G »

bigbluebus wrote:yey something I can comment on cos I have successfully done *most* of this job.

Changed my 82 2.0 air cooled to water cooled that is. The way I did mine I was still running van round with air cooled fitted until I had an engine lined up.

Far and away the best way to do this is buy a scrap van (paid £50 for a 1.9 single cab in my case) that way you should have pretty much all the bits you need, and if it has a good engine *bonus*

starting at the front,

remove lower grill from donor, measure the hole and carefully cut a same size hole in your van. I used a grinder. Be careful of the 2 bars just behind this panel (can't think what they are for). Clean up & rust proof the edges, drill some holes and self tapper the grille on.

get under donor, take complete spare wheel carrier off (easy), drain radiator by disconnecting the rad & heater pipes as they come out near fuel tank. Disconnect rad wiring (careful with the wires, you need them), undo 4 bolts at bottom of rad (support rad!) and remove from van.

back to front of donor van, remove upper grill if you haven't already and you'll see a horizontal piece of metal spot welded to fron bulk head under screen. Chisel this off n keep it, its the upper rad mount. Up to you at this point, I rust proofed & painted the rad fan cowling & rad brackets.

get inside donor and remove metal dash, yeh, the whole dash, but keep the heater control panel in a safe place. Remove the entire heater box incl wiring and lift it, and the pipes up and out the van. Keep the control panel with it. Now, preference again, the hole you pulled the heater pipes up through is a different shape on a water cooled to an air cooled so what I did was cut a rectangle of the metal from the w/c around the hole and screwed it over the hole in a/c so the rubber grommit round the pipes fit properly. Again, clean edges & rust proof.

still inside donor, trace the wires from fuse box down to the radiator wiring and remove. It should all just unplug.

Right, at this point fit all these bits to your air cooled, in reverse order to how you took them out the donor. All the bolt holes are there in an a/c anyway. *With the top rad mount, I found there were holes in the upper bulk head anyway so with the a/c dash out, just bolt it up instead of welding it*.

Bugger, got to go, err more later if you want it :wink:

Blimey mate! Looks good so far,what sort of time frame are we working with here?
Next installment? :D

bigbluebus
80-90 Mem No: 589

Post by bigbluebus »

sorry bout that, bit busy last night :wink:

I'll put a bit more tonight and copy it to wiki wiki wild wild west

Craig, I did mine in a weekend, using pretty basic set of tools operated by a numpty.

:wink:
member 589, ex syncronaut 42, Stoxkarts #600

http://www.stoxkarts.co.uk/

"WEAZLECHIN"

Aircooled to wasser

Post by "WEAZLECHIN" »

i cant even unsderstand why you would put yourself through the stress of doing the conversion unless your camper is un-matchable, a freind of mine managed to fit a heinkel 109 motor in his camper, which was great, it did 379 mph, but only returned 2mpg around town(coventry).. its ok now though, he got a diesel and never breaks down......