Subaru 2.2 Conversion & cooling

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Beetlecrusher
80-90 Mem No: 153

Post by Beetlecrusher »

HarryMann, I`ve sent you my email address but as for a diagram of the system that TSR installed, I`ve no idea. In really cold weather, the temperature guage just about moves past the first mark, even when I was doing 70 to 80 mph for prolonged periods. I recently came back from Portsmouth and the heater barely got warm, I was frozen ! I should have covered the rad, I suppose. The only time it warmed up was in a traffic jam and then the guage went up to half way. I`ve been in touch with Richard Jones and I`m hoping that he can help. I would prefer someone to do the work for me although I`d have a go myself at a push. Thanks to everyone for all the helpful advice so far.
2002 South African T25, 2.6ltr Caravelle.
What, Me Worry ?

ric smiff
80-90 Mem No: 0

2.2 Sub Cooling

Post by ric smiff »

Guys,

Top advice all round. Ditto Beetlecrushers experience of winter driving, mine never moves off the cold mark either. Am also looking for someone to do the job for me.

Any ideas ?

Clive,

Cheers for the emails, pics, schematics etc. V. handy!

Beetlcrusher, whereabout in the UK are you. You mentioned Portsmouth, I'm in Fareham, just round the corner.

Beetlecrusher

Post by Beetlecrusher »

Ric, I live in Cannock, Staffordshire. My daughter lives in Hilsea but only for about 4 more weeks as she`s moving to Lincolnshire. I`ve emailed you in the past regards the Subaru conversion. I actually took one of Richard Jones` reversed manifolds with me when I had the van converted but Andy Raw didn`t fit it as there was some difference in thread sizes apparently. Fortunately, Richard only lives about 30 mile from me and he`s producing some really good products for this type of conversion. I`m hoping that he can point me in the right direction to get the van exactly as I want it but he is an extremely busy bloke. He has a full time job as well as his own VW/Subaru parts venture. If I do find anything helpful, I`ll be in touch. Happy New Year, by the way.
What, Me Worry ?

ozzy
80-90 Mem No: 1809

Post by ozzy »

The amount of time you have had off work Johnny your van should be mint :D
Member number 1809.
now a t4' er

John

Beetlecrusher

Post by Beetlecrusher »

I wish it was John. I should be back at the end of this month, blood pressure permitting, of course. Apologies to all the regular sick merchants whose place I`m taking up on the sick list. ( It can`t possibly be your turn again, can it ?)
:D
What, Me Worry ?

ozzy
80-90 Mem No: 1809

Post by ozzy »

Yep :D
Member number 1809.
now a t4' er

John

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

I`ve sent you my email address but as for a diagram of the system that TSR installed, I`ve no idea

I was hoping one of you TSR Sub Conv owners would do one, easy enough, just look around it and draw a schematic
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

Beetlecrusher

Post by Beetlecrusher »

HarryMann, I`ll do my best to see whats what and I`ll get back to you. Thanks again for your drawings.
What, Me Worry ?

cumbria

Post by cumbria »

http://www.weidefamily.net/vanagon/

I copied this cooling method and have had no problems at all summer or winter. The rest of the site is worth reading and the guy is ok to answer any questions. Reversing the manifold is straight forward just measure and cut I had it alloy welded by others for about £5. Im just about to do another conversion this time into a covin 911 and will do the same method again.

Good luck.
Sean.

scoobyvan

Post by scoobyvan »

good site with plenty of useable info :)

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

YEs, very good site with blow by blow, esepcially timing belt!

Same cooling diagram as I've been posting out
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

scoobyvan

Post by scoobyvan »

virtually the same as i am using on both my vans ,because the coolant runs through the resevoir the air always comes out with bleeding to front rad only.im not sure you could "cock" it up even if you wanted to.especially if you use one of richards reversed manifolds. :D as per one of your diagrams :D malechicken as a substitute for c ock :D :D :D

RJES

Post by RJES »

Hello Folks,
In my opinion, there is no excuse for not running a thermostat - other then bad engineering. My 2.5 Syncro runs at a constant 84 degrees nin about a 15 degree ambient (temps datalogged direct from ecu), regardless of how hard you drive it.

As various people have mentioned, reversed coolant manifolds make the plumbing neater, and can help to make the system easier to bleed if used in conjunction with a thoughtfully designes whole system. Many seem to me to use a 'minimum instalation effort' cooling circuit, with little or no thought about things like how the air will get out, or galvanic corrosion, etc. They have no effect at all on whether or not a thermostat is needed, although you do need to make sure that the coolant flow through the heater circuit can not be completely closed off. If it is, you will quickly cook your engine. There are various ways of making sure the flow does not get shut right off.

I have added quite a bit of cooling system info to my site, in case anyone has not seen it, check out:
http://www.rjes.com/html/cooling%20system.htm

Thanks,

Richard

ric smiff

Scooby 2.2 Cooling

Post by ric smiff »

Hi all.

Now finished re-plumbing the Scooby 2.2 with RJES manifold. :D
I have to say I have a much better feeling now I'm running a thermostat, although it runs a little warm (probably just the gauge over-reading).

Richard's website is the biz with loads of good stuff. I used his method for filling and bleeding the system and it works very well.

Did have a couple of snags along the way though:

1. Sheared of the temp sensor when fitting into the new manifold! :oops:
Managed to extract OK following a few words of one syllable!

2. During the test drive a stone hit the Rad and put a hole in it....... :twisted: See classifieds!

Anyway, thanks for all your help Richard. Old manifold will be in the post soon.
Ric Smiff
I'm OK it's all the other buggers!
Black '86 Transporter/Calypso Campers Conversion. Scooby 2.2 powered.

scoobyvan

Post by scoobyvan »

i think you will find the subaru runs 12degrees hotter so your gauge would read over halfway.

if im wrong please put me right :D