Engine replacement - the bottom line...

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

purplechugster
80-90 Mem No: 0

Engine replacement - the bottom line...

Post by purplechugster »

I've got a 4-gear 1.6 deisel, and Ive been edging towards a replacement engine for a little while, and the only way is up :wink:

So am I right in saying putting a 1.9 turbo diesel (not injection) would be the simplest way to go? And would that make enough of a difference to the power to make it worthwhile?

Secondly, if I put in such a lump, do I need to change the gearbox at all? Or will it survive as is?

I'm no mechanic, so I want to be able to drive in, leave the van there, drive away with a new engine. So lastly - the bottom line - how long does such a conversion take and how much (roughly) will it cost me? :shock:

Ive read the intro into engine replacements - but is there anything else Ive forgotten or need to know?

Thanks for the help!
:D
One T25 in London, another one in Sydney.

MacWilliam
80-90 Mem No: 1871

Post by MacWilliam »

If you have a 1.6 N/A you will need to modify a few things when fitting an aaz lump. notably the engine support. But there is plenty of advice on that subject available if you use the search engine.

Going from a 1.6N/A to a 1.9 Td. Boy .....You will not recognize your van. I already am amazed at a 1.6 td to 1.9td conversion

The gear box will survive...... but there is a possibility that the gears will be too short. Better discuss this with someone in the know. Youd be better with a five gear or even better a long 4 gear box

If you get a garage to do the conversion, if they accept, cos after all it is not straightforward and could be problems with garantee of work that they dont want to accept, it will cost you. Think of three full days labour anyway at £21.00 an hour (thats what comes through my mind as a suggestion having done it myself at a leisurely pace in three weeks)

Best of luck. No doubt you'll have other answers as a lot of folk here a eager to help :D

Diamond Hell
80-90 Mem No: 830

Post by Diamond Hell »

Have a chat to Simon Baxter at Brickwerks - he's just done Dubsta's bus 1.6NA to 1.9TD and Mr Sta is dead chuffed with the results.

Simon's on 01484 519 800. Top bloke, and he always includes a Brickwerks sticker with every purchase.

For further references try AndyFreeze/BigBlueBus, who can't get enough of the Baxter action. :lol:
Diamond Hell
Still Syncro, just much fasterer

Russel
80-90 Mem No: 1052

Post by Russel »

Or come see us. We do these conversions on a regular basis or we also
supply a complete engine ready to fitt.
But i dout u will get a garage that charges £24/hour though.Uk average is a lot more than that.

MacWilliam

Post by MacWilliam »

Russel at Syncro-Nutz wrote:Or come see us. We do these conversions on a regular basis or we also
supply a complete engine ready to fitt.
But i dout u will get a garage that charges £24/hour though.Uk average is a lot more than that.

Must be hellish expensive down south if you work an average of £24.00. A lot less than that up north. In fact youd probably get a free holiday watching pinguins up here and still have some change for a deep fried mars bar on your way past in Glasgow. :D :D :D But there you are! these two places know what they are talking about :)

Diamond Hell

Post by Diamond Hell »

I was at Syncronutz the other day - only two TDIs sitting on the bench ready to go into vans. I could hardly get near them for McGill's projects though :wink:

Only thing is Scotland is further away from London than Huddersfield...... either destination would need to be well prepared for in a 1.6NA though..... leave weeks in advance.
Diamond Hell

purplechugster

Post by purplechugster »

:shock:
The thought of London to Scotland, in winter, in a 1.6d hi-top, is a scary thought!

But if thats what it takes..... :?

But before I load my van with jumpers, hats, gloves, ten dozen packets of crisps and a great deal of red-bull... Anyone know of 'trusted' places a bit closer to the south-east?

(Where is Brickwerks? )

Ooh, all this talk of a van I wont recognise has got me quite excited - it clearly has to be done now! :wink:
One T25 in London, another one in Sydney.

Diamond Hell

Post by Diamond Hell »

Simon B = Hudderfield

Syncronutz = Shotts (between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Sadly I don't know of anyone with the same sort of reputation down here, although I am going to speak to Arthur at MAD VW workshops in Bristol, who might take on this sort of job. If you want to ask him yourself call them on 0117 935 2200. I know he does do engine conversions.
Diamond Hell

dubsta

Post by dubsta »

Hello,
I've just had this done. 1.6na to an AAZ (1.9TD).

Simon baxter did the work. Simon is a T3 expert and has made a fantastic job of the conversion. I highly recommend him, I wouldn't trust anyone else with my van...he da man. He's in Huddersfield (on the left and up a bit from Sheffield)

Anyway, I've been running it a couple of weeks and so far as Mr Hell says it's "All good".

Big change from the crawl on the 1.6, I can accellerate now, over take , go up hills - it's fab. I had to source a few extra bits from a 1.6TD (JX) for the conversion though.

I also bought a 5 speed petrol gearbox which has more suitable gearing, otherwise the engine would be revving too high at higher speeds. Unfortunately the box I bought is a bit of a lemon and will have to be changed soon.

If you want to know more give me a ring on 07811338696 and I'll tell you all about the bits you need, costs etc.

Ben

MacWilliam

Post by MacWilliam »

purplechugster wrote::shock:
The thought of London to Scotland, in winter, in a 1.6d hi-top, is a scary thought!
I know..and it is full of hairy drags in skirts trying to get hold of your money :D be carefull :D :D

Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

You could also try Simon Cooper at Central VW/Audi. Knows heaps about Turbo Diesels and T25's...
He does conversions also so worth a try for a competitive price.

0151 355 1246

http://www.centralvwaudi.com/

MG

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Post by Simon Baxter »

Im only £25 per hour.
Probably why Im stacked out! :lol:
Cheers for comments guys.
http://www.dubdoctors.com/doctors/sjbax ... brickwerks
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

Diamond Hell

Post by Diamond Hell »

Remind me to never come to your workshop - apparently your tea is cr*p.

:lol:
Diamond Hell

dubsta

Post by dubsta »

he never has any milk :(

Diablodub
80-90 Mem No: 2477

Brew.....................................

Post by Diablodub »

Oh i haven't got any milk , is black ok !

Say yes just to annoy him :twisted:

I agree with Dubsta , if you want it doing right - go to Simon .

Stu