What can I use off old engine?

Alternative power-plants and transplants (GTi, Porsche, Subaru, Audi, diesel etc). Discussion and Q&A last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

gearyboy
80-90 Mem No: 0

What can I use off old engine?

Post by gearyboy »

Got a knackered t25 1.6TD engine - block has cracked- Im going to be putting a 1.9TD golf engine in. Is there any of the 1.6TD engine I could use on the 1.9TD ie alternator / starter motor?

I know it gives a brief indication of what mods need to be done in the diesel engine topic but could someone tell me exactly what needs to be done to put the 1.9TD in?

Is there a particular year of golf engine I should go for? as I presume the more modern the engine the more wiring involved ?!?

Will I need the wiring loom?

Will the gear ratios need changing?

Thanks alot Matt :)
Mmmmmmmm beer!

MacWilliam
80-90 Mem No: 1871

Re: What can I use off old engine?

Post by MacWilliam »

gearyboy wrote:Got a knackered t25 1.6TD engine - block has cracked- Im going to be putting a 1.9TD golf engine in. Is there any of the 1.6TD engine I could use on the 1.9TD ie alternator / starter motor?
You will use all the JX (original engine) ancilliaries. You only need the block with its turbo.
I know it gives a brief indication of what mods need to be done in the diesel engine topic but could someone tell me exactly what needs to be done to put the 1.9TD in?
Everything you need to know to start can be found in the posts really Here's one of them
http://www.club80-90.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=149

Is there a particular year of golf engine I should go for? as I presume the more modern the engine the more wiring involved ?!?

AAZ engine c/w manual pump. After that TDIs, great engines with a lot more to do in the wiring departement :D

Will I need the wiring loom?
No

Will the gear ratios need changing?
No

Thanks alot Matt :)