In need of a mixer ring

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

sam_seed

In need of a mixer ring

Post by sam_seed »

Hi guys! I have a 91 caravelle with a 1.9dg engine. As i'm gonna be using this as my daily for a bit i've decided to gas it. I've got a hold of most of the kit for the job second hand outta a 89 passat. I think all i'm missing is the mixer ring. The engine has a pierberg carb and i'm wondering where I could locate a mixer ring for it. I belive the 80040 ring is an option however i've no idea where to get a hold of this item or is there a better product I should be using? I've decided to have a crack at installing this kit myself anyone got any tips for me (besides get someone else to do it)?

One more thing, I have a 44l donut tank- too small I know however, that's what i'm startin with- i'm wondering how I can tell if I can use it on it's side or if I have to keep it flat?
Thanks in advance for the help!

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: In need of a mixer ring

Post by ghost123uk »

Don't know about the mixer ring, Gasure may sell you one but iirc, they are not too happy selling parts to DIY'ers (I may be wrong there though) - Perhaps the manufacturers of the usual LPG kit might be approached (goes off to check who made the LPG kit on mine :wink: )

My doughnut tank is on it's edge, as are many others that are fitted were a wardrobe is often fitted (rear offside)

Hope this is some help.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

sam_seed wrote: i'm wondering how I can tell if I can use it on it's side or if I have to keep it flat?

Mocki wrote: there are two sorts of people who play with LPG, those that know, and those that wish they had listened..........

Nuff said :wink:

Welcome to the forum btw :ok

Ian
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

sam_seed

Post by sam_seed »

Ian Hulley wrote:
sam_seed wrote: i'm wondering how I can tell if I can use it on it's side or if I have to keep it flat?

Mocki wrote: there are two sorts of people who play with LPG, those that know, and those that wish they had listened..........

Nuff said :wink:

Welcome to the forum btw :ok

Ian

Thanks for the welcome.

I've always been a fan of learning the hard way!

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

I've always been a fan of learning the hard way!

Best send us the address of your local burns unit then so we can send flowers. :(
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

sam_seed

Post by sam_seed »

Does this look familiar to anyone on here:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LPG-MIXER-Pierbur ... 335ef2d28a

or:

http://www.lpg-kits.com/mixers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Down at the bottom of the page pierburg 2e mixer ring
Last edited by sam_seed on 20 Jul 2010, 14:36, edited 1 time in total.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Big risk doing this by yourself, let alone the KERBOOM factor. Your insurance won't sign it off without a certificate, and you'll find it very hard to get an engineer to sign it off for you. They will either not risk it, or charge you a fortune. And if you don't tell your insurance, your basically driving without any.
Good luck anyhow, Lloyd
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

sam_seed

Post by sam_seed »

Cheers for the advice there, I'll sort all that out when the time comes - meanwhile....those two mixers, do you recognise them?

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

No, sorry i've never looked
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

TinleyTech or WTV-UK sell kits for VW' T25's and will have the appropriate parts listed. Either will supply you with the correct mixer, tell them you want the one that fits on the Pierburg E3 with two inlets (and tell them the the Make/Model/Year of vehicle. Can't give you the part no. as I am away from home. The rear engine hatch needs a small section of the rib removed as there is often insufficient clearance with the mixer ring added. Think Tinley tech do a universal ring (or one that is mounted on the inlet side) that can be used if preferred but talk to them about it.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

sam_seed

Post by sam_seed »

AngeloEvs wrote:TinleyTech or WTV-UK sell kits for VW' T25's and will have the appropriate parts listed. Either will supply you with the correct mixer, tell them you want the one that fits on the Pierburg E3 with two inlets (and tell them the the Make/Model/Year of vehicle. Can't give you the part no. as I am away from home. The rear engine hatch needs a small section of the rib removed as there is often insufficient clearance with the mixer ring added. Think Tinley tech do a universal ring (or one that is mounted on the inlet side) that can be used if preferred but talk to them about it.

Good man, thanks for the help

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

sam_seed wrote:Does this look familiar to anyone on here:

http://www.lpg-kits.com/mixers.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Down at the bottom of the page pierburg 2e mixer ring

That pierburg 2e mixer ring looks exactly the same as the one on the pierburg on my DG if that is any help.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

sam_seed

Post by sam_seed »

Yup, sure is John. I rang Tinley Tec and they reckon they an supply me with a the correct part for £35. So i'll take their advice save me wrestling with a part that may not fit. Thanks to yourself and Angeloevs for the help oh Ian & lloydy as well. I'll order this tomorrow and then when I'm standing in front of the engine scratching my head with said mixer in hand...I'll probably post again :lol: Cheers Lads

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

lloydy wrote:Big risk doing this by yourself, let alone the KERBOOM factor. Your insurance won't sign it off without a certificate, and you'll find it very hard to get an engineer to sign it off for you. They will either not risk it, or charge you a fortune. And if you don't tell your insurance, your basically driving without any.
Good luck anyhow, Lloyd

Sorry fella but thats totally not the case..

Have a look at/talk with TinleyTech

Claiming LPG has a worse 'boom' factor -it's no worse than petrol... Imagine you wrongly put an electric fuel pump on a petrol engine and something goes wrong - pump pump pump pump pump boom, no difference with LPG, in fact LPG is safer as there are multiple solenoids in the system and an ignition senser. Provided you fitted the main assembly onto the tank the system is far safer than a petrol system. Think how many T25's are out there with holes in the petrol tanks :?

The kit's from TinleyTech are great and they have detailed fitting instructions.

And also not all insurance companies demand a cert - many will accept a phone call so that they know of a modification :ok

Many gas places charge about 50 notes for an cert - the only niggle is if you have an Aircooled van; in this case for me TinleyTech simply said "bring your van down and well check and cert provided you followed the installation instructions, we know the LPG kit is safe is its our kit"
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

helga592
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by helga592 »

I fitted LPG to are van 2 years ago still running lovely no problems
Good Luck
1.9 watercooled hightop on LPG
Reliant ss1