right carb for a conversion?

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jamesandtheopenroad
80-90 Mem No: 8279

right carb for a conversion?

Post by jamesandtheopenroad »

Good morrow.

Because we want to use the van in a happy and carefree way and not worry about selling organs to pay for petrol, we're giving serious consideration to gassing it.

She has a 1.9 dg 78ps engine (the guy who recently serviced it said it had plenty of life left - 150 compression?!), but a previous owner has put a solex carb on instead or the pierburg.

So my question is this. Can a conv be done on the solex or do we really have to get a pierburg on there? (coz I reckon that'd be another kidney).

Thanks peeps.

BTW, we're heading to whitby on Monday so keep an eye out & give us a wave!
"our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt" Mr W Shakespeare

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: right carb for a conversion?

Post by kevtherev »

the carb is not the problem... you could use a toilet roll tube :D
it's just another point of delivery.
The gas system only uses the butterfly throttle in the carb and the second venturi in the pierburg.

pierburgs are plentyful and cheap
I saw a carb and manifold set at Deva Dubs for £35.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

jamesandtheopenroad

Hi Kev, thanks for the info.

Sorry if this is obvious, but does that mean we do need a pierburg as that has twin venturi whereas the solex has one?

Guess the correct & easiest thing to do would be to give the rebound Steve @ gasure a buzz.
"our doubts are traitors, and make us lose the good we oft might win, by fearing to attempt" Mr W Shakespeare

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

the solex will restrict the engine.. it cant flow tha same amount of air.. so going back tothe correct 2e3 would release some horses and torque... IF the engine reallt is a DG.. are you sure the van didnt start out life as a DF??
DF was 60bhp at lower revs...

jamesandtheopenroad

That I don't know for sure. The logbook says it's a dg 78bhp. And the mechanic who serviced it last month said it wasn't the right carb for the engine.

Driving it, it can be a little sluggish and up hills can be real slow - more than I think it probably should. And when cold can chug a bit. All things that I imagine point to an incorrect carb.

But I am totally new to this, so could be talking rubbish. :oops:

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

No your not talking rubbish ..
You can find the engine code on the engine block.... under the breather tower facing the rear.
it will have the engine No. and either DG or DF clearly stamped.
No letters stamp means it another thing altogether but we'll face that when you find out the suffix
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

jamesandtheopenroad

Thanks guys - and for the fiery brake reply kev!

Defo a dg. Gonna give Steve a call soon and in the meantime try and source a pierburg and correct manifold.

1990 VW T25 Transporter
1.9 DG 78ps
LPG'd by Gasure