LPG Tank

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Re: LPG Tank

Post by toomanytoys »

Looked at fitting a tank there.... oh.... 8 years ago... small one is possible, but only on 2wd wbx engined vans.. But.. about 25L capacity isnt really worth the hassle and cost IMHO....

Sill tanks have to such a small diameter that its silly.. and only 1 per side.. under the front is about the only sensible option outside..

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Post by silverbullet »

Remind me to get reincarnated 8 years earlier next time around :lol:
Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't like the idea of putting a pressurized fuel tank in the front crash zone of a (in my case) 15 year old vehicle with a 30+ year old design...never mind getting to the gear linkage, radiator fan, heater valve and still having to relocate the spare :roll:
I reckon it is worth the effort for me, as I've got to drop the box anyway - 2nd and 3rd synchro very tired plus a rather leaky crank seal. There's space for a 200 dia x 1000 long tank under the SA (no wbx starter stealing space) which would be good for about 30 litres, but there's still that ruddy strut in the way which makes it a bit tight :evil:
I think that a more fully integrated approach to LPG conversions needs to be taken, like most Solihull-fitted offerings i.e. a properly designed, smaller petrol tank that would allow (possibly) the fitment of a gas tank in the space liberated? Or would it get too hot in the wash from the radiator?
Dunno.

Johny B
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 2003

Post by Johny B »

Why not speak to Steve tomorrow about it

As for spare wheel tanks they are very safe, if it was''t we would'nt fit them
Member 2003

VW Camperhaus

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I need to speak to him anyway, now that I've all ready racked up the lpg running-in 600 miles...
I don't doubt that the spare donut tanks are OK, but it just gives me the twitch and creates another problem to solve.
If a decent sized tank will fit, what does the regs say about the saddle mounting? Can it be bolted to the back of the firewall by me, then connected by a qualified fitter to keep the authorities happy?

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

Johny B wrote:Why not speak to Steve tomorrow about it

As for spare wheel tanks they are very safe, if it was''t we would'nt fit them
Any news on the re-introduction of the Vertical donut tanks?

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

silverbullet wrote:Remind me to get reincarnated 8 years earlier next time around :lol:
Call me old-fashioned, but I just don't like the idea of putting a pressurized fuel tank in the front crash zone of a (in my case) 15 year old vehicle with a 30+ year old design...never mind getting to the gear linkage, radiator fan, heater valve and still having to relocate the spare :roll:
I reckon it is worth the effort for me, as I've got to drop the box anyway - 2nd and 3rd synchro very tired plus a rather leaky crank seal. There's space for a 200 dia x 1000 long tank under the SA (no wbx starter stealing space) which would be good for about 30 litres, but there's still that ruddy strut in the way which makes it a bit tight :evil:
I think that a more fully integrated approach to LPG conversions needs to be taken, like most Solihull-fitted offerings i.e. a properly designed, smaller petrol tank that would allow (possibly) the fitment of a gas tank in the space liberated? Or would it get too hot in the wash from the radiator?
Dunno.

:rofl :rofl :rofl I'll get my time machine...

Have you seen what a T25 does to a Volvo 740 estate..... in a 50/50 head on :shock: :ok :ok :ok T25 ALL the way..... :ok

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Got a link then?

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

silverbullet wrote:Got a link then?

This is a bit off topic.. well sort of...

http://www.vanagon.com/info/safety/volv ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

:shock: Fer-fer-ferk mee! The velle took off! That's what I call collision avoidance :ok
To get it back on topic, I've had a spot of stalling ( running on gas) when dipping the clutch and braking to a stop. Plus one or two pops and farts from the engine...LPG idle mixture too weak?
Need my mate to dig out his Snap-off CO meter sharpish.