Equivalent MPG to expect on LPG

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

moonshine
80-90 Mem No: 5602

Equivalent MPG to expect on LPG

Post by moonshine »

After just returning from the doka's first big journey with me, I got an equivalent of 41mpg. I know thats nothing to scoff at, its practically identical to my whitestar tdi's economy!, but should I be expecting more than this, (especially as I haven't had a chance to service it or refresh sparks/filters etc?)
It's a multipoint jobby.

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Re: Equivalent MPG to expect on LPG

Post by eatcustard »

moonshine wrote:After just returning from the doka's first big journey with me, I got an equivalent of 41mpg. I know thats nothing to scoff at, its practically identical to my whitestar tdi's economy!, but should I be expecting more than this, (especially as I haven't had a chance to service it or refresh sparks/filters etc?)
It's a multipoint jobby.

Thats good

I get the equivalent of 36-40 mpg
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

I generally get 34mpg (17mpg on LPG)

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

Cruz wrote:I generally get 34mpg (17mpg on LPG)

Sorry cruz, you are going to have to explain that to me ( tho likely me being thick )

I get around 22 average, on both petrol and LPG so that's an approximate equivalent to 44 mpg (at the 54p I pay for gas and mine is a tin top DG)

I thought a multipoint gave better economy than the simple open loop system most of us have ?

Ring Steve at Gasure and ask, he will know for sure :)
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

ghost123uk wrote:

Sorry cruz, you are going to have to explain that to me ( tho likely me being thick )
17mpg on LPG. Petrol twice the price therefore 34mpg equivalent. Simples

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Cruz wrote:
ghost123uk wrote:

17mpg on LPG. Petrol twice the price therefore 34mpg equivalent. Simples
I get pretty much the same. 2ltr Aircooled.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

Nicola&Tony
80-90 Mem No: 3095

Post by Nicola&Tony »

Just worked out our mpg on gas for our recent Cornwall trip (first time I've ever bothered to do it since we had the van converted a couple of years ago). It was a round trip of 1400 miles on 296 litres of gas, so if I've done the sums right that works out as 21.49 mpg, and £for£ petrol equivalent of 43 mpg, well chuffed! :D

It wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been for Ian Hulley's advice and information! :ok

Tony
Looking for: window apertures for side windows, at the back of the van

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

LT31; 1993; RHD; 2.4L petrol; high-top; diy camper project.

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

moonshine wrote:After just returning from the doka's first big journey with me, I got an equivalent of 41mpg. I know thats nothing to scoff at, its practically identical to my whitestar tdi's economy!, but should I be expecting more than this, (especially as I haven't had a chance to service it or refresh sparks/filters etc?)
It's a multipoint jobby.

John , thats about average mate , it won't hurt it to give it a good service , Thing with LPG , its a toss up between economy and power ,thats what the power valve is for
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Nicola&Tony wrote:It wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been for Ian Hulley's advice and information! :ok
What it special advice beyond "get it gassed"?

moonshine
80-90 Mem No: 5602

Post by moonshine »

T'Onion wrote:
It's a multipoint jobby.

John , thats about average mate , it won't hurt it to give it a good service , Thing with LPG , its a toss up between economy and power ,thats what the power valve is for

:ok cheers Mark.
Whats the power valve? will my multipoint have it?

Nicola&Tony

Post by Nicola&Tony »

Cruz wrote:
Nicola&Tony wrote:It wouldn't have happened if it hadn't been for Ian Hulley's advice and information! :ok

Yeah, it was a lot more helpful than that. :roll:

Tony

T25; 1985; RHD; 1.9DG petrol / LPG; white Autosleeper high-top; Looking rusty again!

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Nicola&Tony wrote:
Cruz wrote:

Yeah, it was a lot more helpful than that. :roll:

Tony
I wasn't being sarcastic. I just didn't convey properly that I was asking what it was :oops:

Nicola&Tony

Post by Nicola&Tony »

Cruz wrote:I wasn't being sarcastic. I just didn't convey properly that I was asking what it was :oops:

Oops, sorry, I thought you were taking the pee! :oops: Well back then we were new to the world of vw's and old vans and didn't know much about about lpg conversions either. We'd made enquiries though and been quoted approx. £800 for gas conversion, which we didn't have, so we'd given up on the idea. Ian explained the magic of 0% credit cards to us; pay for the conversion on one of those and pay it off over 12 months with the money that we weren't gonna be spending on petrol!

He also explained how many miles a year we'd need to be doing in order to pay back the cost of the conversion in a reasonable time, told us about a company with a very good reputation for converting old vw's (Gasure) and explained that once it was gassed we'd be able to use the van without worrying about how much it was costing us in fuel, which in turn would mean that we'd use the van more often which would be better for it than leaving it standing around for long periods of time.

Couldn't argue with any of that, it was exactly what we needed to know!! Had the van just over 3.5 years now and we've done 27k miles in it, but that wouldn't have happened if we'd been running on petrol. :D :D

Tony

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

The 0% advice was given to me by Steve Mocki as I recall :mrgreen:
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Cruz

Post by Cruz »

Same here Tony. Work were kind enough to dish out some free shares so we gassed it and now I don't blink about using it as my daily driver :ok

Filled up the wife's Micra last night and I had a tear in my eye at the cost....one pound flippin 16 pence!!!!