Browns Gas & solar batteries

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Swampy
80-90 Mem No: 2802

Browns Gas & solar batteries

Post by Swampy »

Hello there.

I've been reading up on this Browns Gas malarkey, in which you separate water into its component molecules & squirt the stuff into your fuel line in order to improve the combustion of your diesel/petrol & so improve economy.

I'm leaning toward the argument that all you're doing is putting load on your alternator to charge up the battery that feeds the electrolyser/seperator and so not really improving your fuel economy to a huge degree.

However, the thought occurred that it might be possible to rig up a spare battery for the job. I have a spare spot under my drivers seat, for example.

Instead of charging up the spare battery using the alternator, could I not simply rig up a couple of solar chargers?

I have a raising roof, so could easily attach a couple of chargers to my raising roof & have them permanently attached, not getting in the way.

I'm not saying that this will allow the permanent running of diesel/browns gas, as I have no idea without trying this how long it takes to drain a battery.

However, by rigging up a system such as this, I should be getting a fuel supplement for free. For a bit at least!

Looking at costs, I've seen large size solar chargers going for around £55 each, new battery at £45 Browns Gas kit from some cowboy at around £50 for a simple kit. Could even do a DIY kit for less.

Looking at rigging up a system for around £200.

Any thoughts on this? My main issue is that I have no idea how long it would take for a Browns Gas system to drain a battery (will try & contact someone about this) and also I have no idea how long it takes for these solar chargers to trickle-charge a battery up.

Waste of time?...

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: Browns Gas & solar batteries

Post by silverbullet »

:rofl Browns Gas? It's nonsense. You could not "seperate water into it's component molecules" for £500,000 - we're not at the Mr Fusion level of technology just yet...
All they are doing is injecting water into your engine, which makes steam. Some turbo drag race engines use a similar idea for in-cylinder intercooling, but the corrosion inhibitor additive quantities need to be carefully set, or the top of you cylinder bores will look like they've been in the sea for years in no time (due to steam erosion)
£50? It's just an old scam. Keep your money in your pocket.
Too good to be true - of course it is.

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

silverbullet wrote::rofl Browns Gas? It's nonsense.

No Brown's Gas isn't nonsense but trying to improve the fuel consumption with it is complete "Balls".
They are using voltage to produce Hydrogen and Oxygen gas, they call this mixture Brown's Gas with doesn't explode it implodes - what tripe.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I meant that the application was a load of old tosh. See this from the world authority on factual accuracy...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown%27s_ ... wn.27s_gas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Note the paragraphs on "Production" and "Fringe science and fraud" :lol:

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

silverbullet wrote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brown%27s_ ... wn.27s_gas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's hours of entertainment there with a conspiracy theory thrown in and it's free!
I reckon 2 or 3 HHO generators, some of the magic fuel magnets, a couple of bottle fuel system improve and some copper wrist bands I'll be having to stop to remove fuel.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Don't forget your astrological energy crystal hanging from the rear view mirror :rofl

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Swampy wrote:Waste of time?...

yeah..
if you want an "assist" then try the hybrid route..

There's some interesting thoughts with a syncro font diff and an electro motive force :wink:
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Swampy
80-90 Mem No: 2802

Post by Swampy »

Well, that finishes that plan off! I thought the way it worked the hydrogen got piped in, but the oxygen didn't.

Must admit, I asked lots of questions to a few people selling such systems, just about little things like power drain of battery, long-term tests & safety controls etc and got no response at all, not even sales bluster.

Wikipedia kind of says it all really! Ah well. :roll:

Kev, are you suggesting converting the Van into a Prius?... Electric assist for slow driving+combustion for higher speeds? Who's thinking these interesting thoughts? Anything written down? I'd love to have a read if so.

I'd have thought that idea would require lots done mechanically to get the job done.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

Swampy wrote: Kev, are you suggesting converting the Van into a Prius?...

no.. it's easier to buy one

Electric assist for slow driving+combustion for higher speeds? Who's thinking these interesting thoughts?
me for one. :D
mainly for hills and town cycle

Anything written down? I'd love to have a read if so.

I'd have thought that idea would require lots done mechanically to get the job done.

no nothing written, but electrification has been done before.
The mechanics is not a problem, more the expense and weight of the traction batteries.
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)