LPG Conversions - recommendations ?

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

boardmonkey
80-90 Mem No: 6853

LPG Conversions - recommendations ?

Post by boardmonkey »

Hi,

Thinking about the old LPG convo, thing is im based in Surrey, very close to J6 on M25.

Theres a number of LPG conversion companies, however no idea if one is better than the other, so has anyone had any recommendations about companies in the South East..and some of them really are taking the pi$$ with their prices '' from 1200 '' - kiss my hairy a***....

Arunautogas - Littlehampton ??
Gasure obviously are a goodie, but bleedin miles away...

Or is it worth doing the job yourself ??, I've rebuilt my T25 lump so am fairly technically minded...

Thanks, RIchard
''Nellie'' born 01/87 Hannover WV2ZZZ25ZHH067456 now fitting with a new heart EJ25 N/A

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: LPG Conversions - recommendations ?

Post by Ian Hulley »

Gasure has a trained fitter at VW Elite down your neck of the woods.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

As what Ian said :ok
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

boardmonkey

Post by boardmonkey »

Thanks for the advice..

Still trying to weigh it up, 1100 for the conversion and then 5 years of motoring before you pay back the initial outlay..

decisions decisions
''Nellie'' born 01/87 Hannover WV2ZZZ25ZHH067456 now fitting with a new heart EJ25 N/A

Willoughby
80-90 Mem No: 3068

Post by Willoughby »

boardmonkey wrote:Thanks for the advice..

Still trying to weigh it up, 1100 for the conversion and then 5 years of motoring before you pay back the initial outlay..

decisions decisions

At todays prices will pay it's self back in roughly 10K ( When I got mine done a few years back was only 7K to pay it's self back.)

10'000 Miles at 25MPG

Todays prices LPG 53.9p and unleaded 109.9p

LPG would cost £980.14 and unleaded £1998.46

So 10K on gas would save you £1018.32

The link below ↓↓ will let you do the sums yourself.

Kev
http://www.parka.plus.com/cookie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - wee test for me.

Kev.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

decisions decisions

eh? perhaps you don't need gas then if you only use it for two thousand miles a year
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

kevtherev wrote:

decisions decisions

eh? perhaps you don't need gas then if you only use it for two thousand miles a year

Or even a camper..... :rofl :rofl :rofl

:run

boardmonkey

Post by boardmonkey »

Hi,

Previous mileage has been much higher, however we are moving to Cornwall this year, so after that those long road trips west will be a thing of the past as we will be living the dream.

Going to keep the Van for the weekly trips to the coast, very useful for getting changed in...

We'll get a donkey car for the long trips back up the 303 east....

:D

manselsdub

Post by manselsdub »

I have been thinking hard about an lpg convo for a while.
After readind the reveiws on here i phoned Steve at Gasure, he's a sound bloke, straight as a die and very well priced, as soon as funds permit I'm going up to get mine done

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

manselsdub wrote:I have been thinking hard about an lpg convo for a while.
After readind the reveiws on here i phoned Steve at Gasure, he's a sound bloke, straight as a die and very well priced, as soon as funds permit I'm going up to get mine done

You will not regret it.
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

mines being done now at elite vw, meant to pick it up today [they've had it since saturday] but its not finished yet :( hopefully be ready tomorrow
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

shepster
80-90 Mem No: 1342

Post by shepster »

lloydy wrote:mines being done now at elite vw, meant to pick it up today [they've had it since saturday] but its not finished yet :( hopefully be ready tomorrow

Not quite as quick as Steve himself then!
2.1 DJ running on carb and LPG.

lloydy
80-90 Mem No: 5262

Post by lloydy »

Noooooooooo.........seem to have done a neat job though
Time is a drug. Too much of it kills you

chuckle-bus-tom
80-90 Mem No: 4368

Post by chuckle-bus-tom »

Even for the mileage you cover it would still be worth it for cheaper motoring (LPG is regulated to half the price of premium unleaded) and for the environmental benefits. To get full use of the conversion you could consider adding a take-off to your cooker/fridge/propex (delete as appropriate) and save yourself the hassle of swapping gaz cans and gain a cupboard!

Best thing that's been added to my van (until I fashion a perspex divide between me and the wife)

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

chuckle-bus-tom wrote:Even for the mileage you cover it would still be worth it for cheaper motoring (LPG is regulated to half the price of premium unleaded) and for the environmental benefits. To get full use of the conversion you could consider adding a take-off to your cooker/fridge/propex (delete as appropriate) and save yourself the hassle of swapping gaz cans and gain a cupboard!

Best thing that's been added to my van (until I fashion a perspex divide between me and the wife)
Gas (LPG) is approximately 1/2 the price of petrol, but not always... have seen it less the 1/2... have seen it up to 3/4. :wink:

Vehicle uses liquid take-off while cooker/fridge/propex use gas take-off. Don't think it is possible to get tanks that have both gas and liquid take-off outlets... at least not a practical price. Don't know of anyone who has one, but know of many who have a second tank underneath for cooker/fridge/propex. :wink:
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS