Fitting another company's LPG kit

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MarkVeryard
80-90 Mem No: 0

Fitting another company's LPG kit

Post by MarkVeryard »

Hi,

I bought a second hand but unfitted (i.e. brand new) LPG kit from ebay recently - apparently it is from 'Tinley Tech'. I was going to fit it myself but :
- I find that I don't have the time.
- I am concerned because it is supposed to feature two cylindrical tanks to go underneath the van, but I have seen comments on this forum that state that it won't meet the regulations if the tanks are underneath.

So, I reckon it will be easier to get a professional to fit the kit. Would a proffesional LPG installer be prepared to fit a kit that they didn't supply themselves? If so, are there any suitable installers near South Wales? (ideally Swansea).

Thanks in advance,
Mark.

famous phil

Re: Fitting another company's LPG kit

Post by famous phil »

Hi, bit of a touchy subject because I'm sure your suposed to be Corgi Registered , I nearly did the training for the fitment of LPG conversions many years ago , because at the time there was a special offer on ,offer was if I took my vehicle and did the conversion under their whatchful eye and paid an extra £150 I'd then be qualified ,,,,,,,,,,
not sure about the regulations regarding two tanks but I know of Discovery and Range Rovers with twin tanks
Is it a venturi type system or injection
66 splity deluxe GP mk1, ,3 type 25s 1 with 1.9dt peugeot engine 100+ 1 with 1.9N/A pug eng , there are 7 t25s with pug power in Darlington

Willburt

Post by Willburt »

If you get in touch with Tinley Tech and say it is one of their kits, im sure they would point you in contact with someone in your area.

I fitted one to a mk 3 golf and once fitted took it to a chap in Sheffield who checked it over and gave me a certificate (for a fee)

Tinley tech gave me that contact, you can only ask?

He could also point you in the direction of current regs with the tank positioning.

They have always been really helpful

MarkVeryard

Post by MarkVeryard »

ok, thanks for the reply.

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

hi - the regulations with regard to fitting underneath is the distance between bottom of the tank and the road. Gasure fit the vast majority of LPG kits to members vans...and they don't fit tanks underneath for anything other than leisure LPG tanks (much smaller capacity) because they can't meet the regs with the current tanks available. Unless of course you remove your spare tyre and have a smaller donut tank in there.....but then where do you put your spare.....

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

MarkVeryard

Post by MarkVeryard »

ah, any idea what the minimum distance between the tanks and the road should be?

Willburt

Post by Willburt »

http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=35180" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found this a few pages in from Gasure Chap

With regards Tank location

MarkVeryard

Post by MarkVeryard »

cool, thanks - I'll take a look at the underside of my van - I reckon there must be scope to modify the floor underneath the bench seat/bed to fit the tanks without losing too much storage space.

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

You may as well fit them in the underseat area if you are going to try and mod the floor.. I am going to guess the tanks are of reasonable size so they wont fit between the chassis rails accross so would have to go legth wise which will be more then the seat..

Trust me.. either sell the tanks to a landrover owner (which by the sounds of it is what they were for) and buy the right tank, or fit them unde rthe rear seat..

As said the spare wheel replacing tank isnt ideal either as the spare needs to go somewhere, or rely on a can of goo...

I wrote an LPG article for camper and comecial mag, on converting the T25, several years ago.. (8 years I think) and have done a few conversions..

IMHO you'l be wasting a lot of time and effort trying to make the van fit the tanks you have bought..

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

that's a 72 L tank and still there's room for stuff
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

helga592

Post by helga592 »

This is a 92l tank
1.9 watercooled hightop on LPG