Are all LPG kits suitable for diesel vans??

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jiffies
80-90 Mem No: 7506

Are all LPG kits suitable for diesel vans??

Post by jiffies »

Ok I've read loads of posting on LPG conversions & still unlear about some probably obvious matters.
I have the possibility of buying an LPG conversion kit with the donut shaped tank that came out of a petrol van. I have a 1.6 Diesel with practically a brand new engine.
Are LPG kits designed specifically for petrol conversions or does it not make any difference if its a diesel?
Any advice would be appreciated
Cheers
Jiffies

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Re: Are all LPG kits suitable for diesel vans??

Post by 72BUG »

You can't LPG a diesel.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

jiffies

Post by jiffies »

Martin
Well thats that then! Thanks for letting me know!
Cheers

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Post by 72BUG »

Hi. Sorry, I was just nipping out for a takeaway so didn't have time for a better explination. :D

Diesel ignites under compression, whereas petrol (and LPG) ignite under spark. There are no carbs and no spark on a diesel engine so it won't burn LPG. I'm sure there is a much more technical explination but that's the basics.

I have heard of LPG systems being developed for diesel engines but as far as I am aware they are neither commercially available nor financially viable.

A diesel engine is generally much more efficient than petrol so you should be getting better mpg than a petrol anyway.
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

jiffies

Post by jiffies »

Martin
Thanks again. That makes sense to me. I did my usual trick & started browsing ebay, saw an LPG kit locally thats never even been used & thought that might be handy for my van.
So I appreciate the info
Cheers
Jiffies

happy camper
80-90 Mem No: 7000

Post by happy camper »

72BUG wrote:Hi. Sorry, I was just nipping out for a takeaway so didn't have time for a better explination. :D

Diesel ignites under compression, whereas petrol (and LPG) ignite under spark. There are no carbs and no spark on a diesel engine so it won't burn LPG. I'm sure there is a much more technical explination but that's the basics.

I have heard of LPG systems being developed for diesel engines but as far as I am aware they are neither commercially available nor financially viable.

A diesel engine is generally much more efficient than petrol so you should be getting better mpg than a petrol anyway.

Some of our HGV trucks are combined LPG / Deisel :wink:
I'm in my own lill world but its ok cos everyone here knows me !

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

Converting a diesel to run on LPG is a lot of work and only worth it on heavy trucks/busses.. you can use a small amount of LPG to increase performance of a normal diesel, but to be fair on a 1.6d it aint gonna last long.... Now you could fit a 1.8 GTi engine and then use it...

jiffies

Post by jiffies »

I cant justify replacing a brand new diesel engine for a 1.8GTi??

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

jiffies wrote:I cant justify replacing a brand new diesel engine for a 1.8GTi??

:rofl :rofl you havent driven it very far yet have you :rofl :rofl

famous phil
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by famous phil »

Hi , there are quite a few doing these conversions mainly to vehicles like Landrovers for increase in power ,on the earlier type kits the idea was to turn the diesel fueling down to aid economy , the greatest gain is to burn all diesel injected into the combustian chamber and giving much cleaner exhaust deposits ,,I used to add a small % of petrol when towing to give the same efect which was common many years ago in the winter time , I read a while ago on the net about someone just using a small camping bottle with low output regulator and getting good results when mountain driving ,,I sent off for details off doing a conversion a few years ago now , the company was Plexus Developments & Research the sales patter looks a bit far fetched ,, like cutting the fuel bill 60% , 60% more BHP , 50% TORQUE , extended engine ( due to carbon buildup ) and injection pump life :roll: , ,
In the end I got a petrol Mercedes on the latest LPG multipoint sequential injection and is realy good on economy its the big S Class and costs same as my diesel hatchback to run which is helped by the fact that a friend has refill tanks at his farm , :D
66 splity deluxe GP mk1, ,3 type 25s 1 with 1.9dt peugeot engine 100+ 1 with 1.9N/A pug eng , there are 7 t25s with pug power in Darlington