LPG - IS IT WORTH IT?

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

LeeT25

LPG - IS IT WORTH IT?

Post by LeeT25 »

Hi all,

I have a 1983 T25 water cooled VW Camper conversion.

The 1.9 engine is dead and I am wondering when I get a new engine replacement is it worth re-installing the gas conversion?

The gas conversion has never worked but the tank and I assume all the kit (what do I look for?) remains intact on the current engine. Will it transfer ok? Will it make it more saleable? Where is the best place to re-install the LPG?

My intention is to get it running well, make sure the body is tidy and then sell it.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Damien
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6747

Re: LPG - IS IT WORTH IT?

Post by Damien »

If you have it and its usable it should add a bit to the sale price or get more people interested if you didn't have the kit there or its completely knackered i wouldnt bother

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

one word - YES!

its very attractive to a purchaser (half price running), so as its there, install it and get it running.
I don't think it is viable to get it installed as a new kit and then sell....not 100% sure you would get your money back

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

helga592
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by helga592 »

Hi
We have been runing LPG for over a year now and yes you do get your money back because of the price diffrence. We have been up to Scotland accross to France without any problems. But befor you spend any money I would look at or see if you can have a go in (I hate to say this) a Diesel. I've not driven a T25 on diesel but performance is something i get when i drive my old sports car not the van.

Like i say the holliday starts when you turn the key even if your just going to the shops or comuting to work and back (Which i do daily).

P.S I fitted the LPG system my self and have had NO PROBLEMS WITH INSURANCE OR GETTING A CERTIFICATE
1.9 watercooled hightop on LPG
Reliant ss1

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

What kit is it and why wasnt it working?

If its a cheapo kit and badly installed, then.. no..

If you plan on keeping the van some time... estimate how many miles you will do in it.. bare in mind that once on gas, it will be cheaper to run so you will end up using it more too.... :lol:

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

I'll give you a tenner for it :ok
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

LeeT25 wrote:Hi all,

I have a 1983 T25 water cooled VW Camper conversion.

The 1.9 engine is dead and I am wondering when I get a new engine replacement is it worth re-installing the gas conversion?

The gas conversion has never worked but the tank and I assume all the kit (what do I look for?) remains intact on the current engine. Will it transfer ok? Will it make it more saleable? Where is the best place to re-install the LPG?

My intention is to get it running well, make sure the body is tidy and then sell it.

Thanks in advance.

Lee
Your location would help everybody