Performance

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

MrH29
80-90 Mem No: 0

Performance

Post by MrH29 »

Was toying with the idea of getting an LPG conversion, wanted to ask people who already have one about performance.
They told me some people say its better performance but in general you loose from 5-10%
As I know very little about the conversion I thought you may get a good idea of the performance as you can switch between the 2 fuels.
I may be wrong just wondered.
Thanks anyways
Happy New Year!

Nev

72BUG
80-90 Mem No: 7393

Re: Performance

Post by 72BUG »

No noticable loss of performance when I had mine done. It actually seems to run a lot smoother on LPG. However you can adjust the gas flow to get the required performance / economy. I have turned mine down so the performance is not as good, (which doesn't really bother me) but the MPG is better.

It always makes me chuckle when people talk about T25 performance. If you want to go fast, buy a sports car. If you want to go camping as cheaple as possible then get LPG and turn the gas flow down. Simple! You always have the option of temporarily switching back over to petrol if you need some extra oomph. :ok
Martin.

Diesel is an engine not a fuel.

I liked camping so much I went full time.

MrH29

Post by MrH29 »

Yes I agree, I talk of performance because I find it enjoyable driving a petrol t3, the speed and acceleration is adequate to make that metal brick go with enough speed to put a grin on me face, so if i had an LPG conversion, i wanted to know if I'll still get that enjoyment, on top of massive fuel savings. At the end of the day I could go out and buy a smart car drive to a camp site and set up a tent for loads less than it'll cost to run me wagon, it just wouldn't make me as happy.
But by the sounds of things it alters very little.

Thanks

72BUG

Post by 72BUG »

Yeah I would say no noticable loss in performance and if anything a smoother ride. Check out Steve's website. http://www.gasure.co.uk Lots of FAQ's on there and plenty of info. I would say it's definately worth doing if you're planning on keeping your bus for a few years. I use mine as a daily driver and I will recoup the cost of the conversion within 12 months. Plus the added bonus of knowing the fat one eyed jock Fuhrer is not milking as much tax off me. Happy days. :ok
Martin.

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

MrH29 wrote: But by the sounds of things it alters very little.

only that you stop worrying over fuel costs and tend to go camping more
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Willoughby
80-90 Mem No: 3068

Post by Willoughby »

kevtherev wrote:
MrH29 wrote: But by the sounds of things it alters very little.

only that you stop worrying over fuel costs and tend to go camping more

Big time, fuel costs outweigh slight loss of performance.

I have one one big daddy hill on the road heading north from me so I swich back to petrol just for the five min it takes to climb.

Don't notice the performance any other time.

Kev
http://www.parka.plus.com/cookie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - wee test for me.

Kev.

MrH29

Post by MrH29 »

Its been added to my list, I expect to have it fitted hopefully by May!
Thanks folks

72BUG

Post by 72BUG »

MrH29 wrote:Its been added to my list, I expect to have it fitted hopefully by May!
Thanks folks
Book well in advance at Gasure. They're very busy. :ok
Martin.

mikey9
80-90 Mem No: 3885

Post by mikey9 »

Same as Willoughby - we have a couple of big hills (Drummosie Brae South out of Inverness on the A9) - I can trump up this on petrol in 4th (just) fully laden hi-top kids in back and be down to 45 ish by the steep middle bit.

If I do this on LPG (same load etc.) then I am down to third and 35. Now as the lorries manage 40-45 - I feel happier at their pace or faster so this is one of the very few places I turn over to Petrol - but I do this on the fly at 65mph at the bottom of the hill :D .....

Knowing you have that option is very reassuring - and I notice that some car manufacturers are now fitting a button to select different engine mappings for performance or economy. On my commute into town (15 miles, bendy A roads) the traffic pootles along at 40-60mph - on Petrol or LPG I am never overtaking anything usually however once or twice I have caught an old dear doing 40 on the straight bits - a quick change to petrol gives the little extra power to do that over take easily - then straight back on gas!!!
I am sure it is the way of the future having different fuelling maps given that most modern vehicles have far more power than they need to achieve progress along the road. Just trickle a little less fuel in and do a load more LPG (simplistic but I like it!!)
Mikey

Van for sale - see my For Sale Post

Member 3885

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

What's a hill ? :mrgreen:
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

72BUG

Post by 72BUG »

Ian Hulley wrote:What's a hill ? :mrgreen:
I think there used to be some in Skeggy but we didn't like them so we had them taken away. 8)
Martin.

mikey9
80-90 Mem No: 3885

Post by mikey9 »

We have a few up here - mostly covered in snow and a little slippery today.... :shock:
Mikey

Van for sale - see my For Sale Post

Member 3885

MrH29

Post by MrH29 »

72BUG wrote:
I think there used to be some in Skeggy but we didn't like them so we had them taken away. 8)

A hill in the costa-del-skegg! never! Maybe your mistaking the roller coasters for hills?

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

Post by jed the spread »

Just out of interest how many of you can honestly say your van doesn't run worse on petrol since the conversion. When i had my old van done it ran shocking on petrol.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

72BUG

Post by 72BUG »

jed the spread wrote:Just out of interest how many of you can honestly say your van doesn't run worse on petrol since the conversion. When i had my old van done it ran shocking on petrol.

jed
Mine seems to run just the same as it ever did. Ran out of gas a couple of times and it's sweet as a nut on petrol.
Martin.