Icing up LPG

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Pickles
80-90 Mem No: 142

Icing up LPG

Post by Pickles »

I have had a problem twice now with my van of icing up after my van has been parked up.
Both times I had parked my van at home later in the evening I had gone out to my van and noticed a lpg smell.
I could see liquid lpg dripping onto the floor.
The van had been parked about 3 hours.
The only way to stop it was shut the valve at the tank off.
The solnoids were not live.
I have checked them and they are closing.
I have stripped the vaporiser down and the diaphram is not broken.
LPG has been on the van for 8 years 100k miles any ideas.

Only thing I can think off is that it was starting to freeze up whilst driving and then once parked the valves in the vaporisor were frozen open.
Both times it happened it was short trips.
1989 2.1 LPG Camper
1988 1.6td Syncro Ambulance

Club 80-90 Membership No 142

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Re: Icing up LPG

Post by steve8090 »

I would suspect that you have a leak somewhere, it doesn't take much to do what you have shown in the photos, although you say the diaphram looks in good condition did you check the control arm seal, there is a little round disc about 4mm in diameter under the diaphram control arm, this shuts off the gas when there is no demand, if this leaks or is worn it will never shut off and will freeze the unit as you show.
You should be able to buy a refurb kit for the vaporiser for about £20, this will include all the internal seals and a new diaphram.
Check also for water circulation, does the vaporiser get hot OK?
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Thanks for the reply
Regulator does get warm.
Will have a look at the control arm.

If the solnoids are shut when ignition off, how come it ices up so much.
Is there enough gas in the system or are the solnoids staying open.

The 2nd time it happened I pulled the rubber pipe of the regulator and it was spitting liquid gas out. The gas was boiling away.
1989 2.1 LPG Camper

steve8090
R.I.P.

Post by steve8090 »

Yes, that usually happens when the diaphram cannot shutoff the gas, this is the control arm seal, if you look at the diaphram it has a hook plate on the reverse, this links over the control arm, under the control arm is a knuckle joint held in with 2 screws, take this out and where it sits against the inlet you will find a little rubber seal in the arm, this is the one that leaks, don't forget that 1 ltr of liquid produces 254ltrs of vapour, hence the icing effect, either get a service kit for your vaporiser or buy a new one, either way they are not expensive, about £20 for the kit and about £80 for a new one.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
01244 659740

Pickles

Post by Pickles »

Took the arm off
rubber seal had crud on it, cleaned it off and reasembled.
I will see if it happens again.
one of my solenoids is not shutting off, pulled the wires off the solenoid with the filter, engine still ran. solenoid is clicking though.
Must need cleaning out.

My regulator is a Marini 88 M03/001

do you sell repair kits for them :ok
1989 2.1 LPG Camper

steve8090
R.I.P.

Post by steve8090 »

Yes what happens is that the oil in the gas accumulates around the shuttle and eventually stops it from working, turn off the gas and let the pressure out of the system, remove the solenoid then undo the solenoid tower, you will find the shuttle is full of a brown foul smelling substance resembling bottom of the shoe stuff, make sure you clean it off completely along with the sealing face, reassemble dry do not lubricate with anything and that will cure that, all of this stuff is pure service work nothing more nothing less, its run for a long time and needs a bit of TLC. :)

E D I T

Should have read your complete post, no sorry to the service pack we are OMVL agents only but I'm sure Tinley Tech or WTV should be able to help.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
01244 659740