What temperature does lpg freeze at?

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

jed the spread
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1967

What temperature does lpg freeze at?

Post by jed the spread »

Any ideas as i seem to be reading different reports on this.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

VW T25 Van Spares, Westfalia Parts, Quality Camping Gear & More

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Re: What temperature does lpg freeze at?

Post by ..lee.. »

i dont think its down to the gas actually freezing its just that when temp drops the flow decreases to a point where you dont get any gas. the lpg tank on the westy has a heater that should be turned on before use in low temps. cant remember what temp atm.

always wondered if the heater could be run continiously as if you have a lpg night heater then you`d need gas flow all night.

the butane froze in my mums van in dubfreeze last year and the heater packed in. wasn`t a good nights sleep.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

Yeh butane is pants, and mine does have the pre heat thing on the tank but i am planning on using the van over winter and maybe going somewhere really cold and want my little un not to freeze to death so am looking for info now really.

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

hoping to get up to snowdon myself when the weather turns snowy probally feb or march i`m going to run a diesel ebber as a night heater but if you have a propex or similar i guess you need to find out if the tank heater can be run all night without draining the batteries.

had a quick look on google and there does seam to be conflicting reports most seem to say all`s well to -10* and there is a mention of northen countries lpg having additives so it works at lower temps as does their diesel fuels.

how cold you planning on going jed.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

Propane freezes at -40 degs and butane at +8 degs, these are fact it is widely accepted in the trade that the LPG mix does not freeze until it reaches near to -30 degs, it is used widely in Scandinavia, Poland etc where temperatures can be a lot lower than that.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

jed the spread
Trader

Post by jed the spread »

Thanks for the info chaps. If my westy isnt back from Syncronutz before xmas then i think we will try a quick jaunt to Switzerland or something in the new year. I have never had a propex before as the ebber i had in the old van was good and the tank was on the inside so no dramas their. However, the water tank was outside on the old van and used to freeze alot so at least that is one less thing to worry about with the westy :mrgreen:

jed
CAMPERVANCULTURE.COM