Subaru's on LPG?

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Subaru's on LPG?

Post by silverbullet »

I'm giving this serious consideration as it makes total sense to my bank balance but...I have recently been warned off the whole idea by experienced persons at 8090 with reports of blown maf sensors from backfires and rapidly disappearing exhaust valve seats. :shock:
Same on 2.1 wbx...
Has anyone had a Scoob on gas for longer mileages? e.g. 30k?
Ar these problems something associated with early vapourizer systems or bad set-up e.g. over-advanced timing on gas for power = pinking on petrol? What's the track record for sequential systems?
Do you need to use fuel additive in the petrol, like gasure supply?
Should I be asking Steve Shaw all of the above? :lol:

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: Subaru's on LPG?

Post by Ian Hulley »

silverbullet wrote: Same on 2.1 wbx...

There are quite a few people on here who've been running 2.1 WBXs without any LPG related adverse effects for many years ... other than the price of gas encourages you to use the camper more and therefore run up the mileage :lol:

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

Firstly there are more good stories and experienced owners than those that have had bad, mostly with the mechanical AFM on the 2.1 it is down to lack of correct and qualified servicing that creates the backfire, this damages the anti backfire valve, this unit protects the AFM for one big backfire, after that it needs to be checked as another backfire will bypass the valve and damage the AFM, again with burnt exhaust valves it is down to over advanced timing, weak mixtures etc that could have been sorted at a correct service.

The Subaru does not have a mechanical AFM so a backfire would not do any damage to it anyway, however it is japanese and the materials they use are ofter of poorer quality so we counter act this with a "flashlube" system to stop the valves from stretching, it is not used on the VW because the materials are so much harder and durable, my own 2.0 air coold has done over 300k miles of which 200k has been on LPG and I've rebuilt the motor once, however I digress, the Subaru is newer technology and at a minimum would have an electronic feedback LPG system called a Closed loop system or better still a Sequential system which is the best, the VW's will not take this system as they do not have the correct imputs for injector timing etc.

It is your call, nobody is going to twist your arm, you can listen to the scare mongers if you want its your choice but if it was that bad don't you think that there would be more call to get rid of it altogether, but no there is more and more call for it, you can even buy factory conversions, I can give you references to other Subaru owners with their permission of course if you want.

It would be nice also if these so called experienced owners on 80-90 gave me some feedback if they are my systems but I've heard nothing from nobody.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

Thanks Steve, I didn't mean any offence to anyone!
I simply wanted to double check what I had been told recently by verifying from people with direct experience. I fully appreciate that the Subaru is rather more delicately built in certain departments when compared to an a/c or wbx (we undertake special machining to these engines for the 500bhp+ crowd for our local engine shop so I've seen a few spoiled ones) and I would only consider a full house sequential conversion anyway. The individual circumstances of any engine failure are, of course, subject to the "rose tint" effect. As the saying goes, opinions are like ar##holes...and you get what you pay for.
Will be in touch to book in and discuss my bus conversion.

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

I just fitted a Bigas SGIS engine kit to my EJ25. Had to drill/tap the inlet manifold to fit the nozzles, and the wiring was a bit fiddly, but other wise no probs encountered and it ran first time. It has exceeded my expectations, with seamless cutover between petrol and gas. Highly recommended. The people I bought the kit off did insist I took a Flashlube kit as well as the Subaru is supposed to have 'soft' valve seats. I'll post some pics this weekend.

PS. The Subaru waterboxer is demonstrably far more durable than the VW design.

PPS. Allow more than one day for a good neat LPG installation...
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

R0B
80-90 Mem No: 864

Post by R0B »

go on then.who told you that? my 2.1 has been running for a few years now on lpg.no problems at all...

Same on 2.1 wbx
2.1 LPG/Petrol Auto Caravelle

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits"

syncroandy
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 851

Post by syncroandy »

Yeah, the 2.1 I had in there before run fine on LPG for nearly fours years before I swapped it for the Subaru. I used an OMVL Millenium kit on that.

R0B wrote:go on then.who told you that? my 2.1 has been running for a few years now on lpg.no problems at all...

Same on 2.1 wbx
Syncrosport
Volkswagen Transporter, reloaded.

252 GC5 EJ25 AAN L90D
246 097 AFN AVL+ L90D
Syncronaut #004

silverbullet
Trader

Post by silverbullet »

I'm reassured and convinced that it's a good thing. Thanks all.
Going to find the deposit and get it booked in at Gasure if I possibly can - the worst bit will be getting home having left it there...

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

syncroandy wrote:I just fitted a Bigas SGIS engine kit to my EJ25. Had to drill/tap the inlet manifold to fit the nozzles, and the wiring was a bit fiddly, but other wise no probs encountered and it ran first time. It has exceeded my expectations, with seamless cutover between petrol and gas. Highly recommended. The people I bought the kit off did insist I took a Flashlube kit as well as the Subaru is supposed to have 'soft' valve seats. I'll post some pics this weekend.

PS. The Subaru waterboxer is demonstrably far more durable than the VW design.

PPS. Allow more than one day for a good neat LPG installation...

Would love to see some pics etc and how you did it etc :ok
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB