What CO2 levels for LPG?

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

What CO2 levels for LPG?

Post by KarlT »

Hi.
Got LPG fitted to my 2.1.
On petrol emission levels are 2.9%
What should I be aiming for on LPG? Same?
Thanks

Simon Baxter
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 1

Re: What CO2 levels for LPG?

Post by Simon Baxter »

Sounds like it's not running right at 2.9%
'86 VW T3 syncro panel
'89 VW T3 Westy Atlantic
'81 Porsche 924
SJ Baxter LTD/Brickwerks

KarlT
80-90 Mem No: 2266

Post by KarlT »

I thought Haynes said 2.5%. I thought alittle richer won't hurt.

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

i dont know about co but i do know that the hc produced with lpg is not the same as the hc produced by petrol so the readings you get on the gas machine with regards to hc cant be compared.

gas analysers have a pef factor that needs to be used when working out the correct hc reading.

with regard the co...................................... i aint got a clue but i would like to know too.

lee.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Post by ghost123uk »

KarlT wrote:Hi.
Got LPG fitted to my 2.1.
On petrol emission levels are 2.9%
What should I be aiming for on LPG? Same?
Thanks

My MOT, done on LPG says .07% - (Oh and hc was 610 ppm btw)

This was done with the tester knowing it was on LPG, so I reckon the machine was set correctly.
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

you dont set the mot machines to test gas vehicles. the machines are calibrated for petrol and the tester should be useing the pef factor to manually adjust the readings to account for the van running on gas.

ghost123uk according to the mot manual you gas hc @ 610 should have actually be a fail .... IF......you divide the 610 by the pef factor of .48 you acctually end up with a hc reading of over 1200 which is an mot fail.

NOW..... i brought this up with the mot people years ago as i noticed that most gas vehicles that i was testing were failing on gas when tested "properly" according to the mot manual. i felt that instead of dividing the readings by the pef factor it would make sence to multiply the readings by the pef factor. the hc given off by petrol are hexane where as on gas they are propane hence the need to do something with the readings obtained by the mot machine.

the response from vosa was as usual NO WE ARE RIGHT.

be nice to hear from steve or any gas experts as to their comments on this.

cheers lee.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.