Bio diesel

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

marcusvictoria

Bio diesel

Post by marcusvictoria »

Will my 1900 non turbo T25 be alright on Biodiesel?

There is a local supplier for me just want to know if my vw will be alright.?

Marcus in Eastbourne

Swampy
80-90 Mem No: 2802

Re: Bio diesel

Post by Swampy »

There are people here that run their vans on a blend of straight veg oil & diesel.
Some run well set up 2-tank conversions.
Not heard of anyone here doing an Elsbett (1-tank) conversion, but I'm sure they're around.
Some people tell you that you're doing nothing but screw up your engine by doing any of this.

From what I've read on the subject, a VW Diesel engine or Turbo-Diesel engine seems strong enough to cope with Biodiesel. My 1.6TD Van's currently running on a blend of diesel (simply cannot afford to do anything else right now) & the Van's been chugging along nicely for the past 3 years. I would not recommend it if the engine was a TDI.

It has been recommended to clean out/replace your fuel filter after 100 miles of running pure biodiesel, as you'll be cleaning out your fuel tank etc of crud.

It has also been recommended to keep a set of replacement fuel lines handy, as they are more prone to perish when using biodiesel. Also worth checking that your existing ones are in good nick too, just in case :)

I can only tell you what I think about the subject & confirm that T25 owners are running on Bio or SVO. I personally would have no problems putting Biodiesel in my tank.

I would recommend further reading on sites such as this forum: http://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/forum/index.php

Hope this helps.

..lee..
80-90 Mem No: 4478

Post by ..lee.. »

my t4 1.9d runs on just about anything but there`s no way on earth i`d put bio in it after what i`ve seen with the stuff waxing up in some other cars. it can ruin a cars fuel system.
it`s a big round cage and there`s too many animals in it for my liking. To help address this ring lee on 07977 765818.

Swampy
80-90 Mem No: 2802

Post by Swampy »

Waxing appears to be an issue when biodiesel gets cold.

Following quote from a co-op recycling company(so they may have a bias on this):

http://www.magpie.coop/biodiesel2.php

Caution: If biodiesel is stored below 10°C it may form small, solid, waxy crystals that stick together to form bigger ones. These larger crystals block fuel filters and plug fuel lines. In very cold weather conditions you can add anti waxing additives to the fuel, which allow smooth operation or alternatively you can blend it with mineral diesel in a ration of about 30% VBio to 70% mineral diesel to ensure continued low temperature usage.