FRench LPG Better

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

chriscburgess
80-90 Mem No: 4405

FRench LPG Better

Post by chriscburgess »

Have just done 1400 miles through France and top of Spain.

The first part in France was done on LPG from the UK. The van ran alright but struggled on some of the long hills requiring me to change down to third (5 speed box) quite a lot.

No soon as I filled up in France there was a notable increase in performance. I could quite easily climb similar inclines at 50 in 4h and sometimes 5th.

This increase lasted throughout the holiday. - UNTIL i got back to blighty and put British LPG in again.

so this leads me to think that the quality of our lpg is inferior!!

Anyone else experienced the same??

PS. I also did Northern Spain around San Sebastian to Santander - not an lpg pump in sight!

Chris
T25 1984 Westfalia pop 1.9DG

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Re: FRench LPG Better

Post by Ian Hulley »

The French gas varies greatly from one type to another, some seems as though the van's been turned down ... I guess it's the blend ? I only remember filling at one Shell station and a Subaru dealership in Germany and noticed no difference, filled up twice in Austria with no difference ... and not at all in Switzerland cos I couldn't find gas anywhere :( ... only 'Erdgas' whatever that is :evil:

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

silverbullet
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 6908

Re: FRench LPG Better

Post by silverbullet »

Ian Hulley wrote:... only 'Erdgas' whatever that is :evil:

Ian.
Thinking hard about going gas powered as the 2.2 Leggy motor does encourage a bit of right foot! :ok
Just googled Erdgas and it's on the de.wiki
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erdgas" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Seems that there are two grades available at the pump in Germany (in principle), High and Low gas they call it, with differing energy content per litre...
Could explain a thing or two.