Difficult starting

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

glenn77
80-90 Mem No: 1646

Difficult starting

Post by glenn77 »

Van - 1.9 auto camper.1984. I have been having a problem recently starting the van. It was converted by Mocki about 4 years ago and has had no 'servicing' to the LPG system since. The problem is that the van won't start easily. I turn the van over and over whilst pumping the gas pedal for about 2 + minutes. I have to use a power pack to help the battery turn it over too as the battery is now pretty knackered after all this power drain. The engine spins but it is like there is nothing in the cylinders to ignite for that initial couple of minutes. Once the van is running and warmed up it starts easier but it is still like the gas is not there to ignite for a shorter while. Is there anything that could be blocking the delivery of gas to the cylinders. Is there any servicing that i can do to help get the fuel flowing so it starts after a couple of turns of the key. Look forward to any help you can suggest.Ta :ok

ghost123uk
80-90 Mem No: 2585
Location: John in Malpas, in the very S. W. part of Cheshire.

Re: Difficult starting

Post by ghost123uk »

Watching this thread Glenn as there seems to be very little info out there re servicing LPG systems (or on how they actually work re fuel metering etc).

As to any help for you, does it spin nice and fast on the key ?
Mine used to be a lazy spinner for the first year I had it and that made it awkward to start.
(A new starter and bush changed all that and now it spins over like a good un and starts just fine)

I take it you have checked the plugs and CAREFULLY (don't kill yourself doing this !!) looked at the quality of the spark ? (you know, duff HT leads, coil, rotor arm or dizzy cap type checking).

I believe there is a filter somewhere, and possibly a moisture trap of some sort.
I was told I should get mine serviced around once a year (tho it has only been done once in nearly 4 years to date :shock: )

Is anyone prepared to reveal the servicing needs of an LPG system :wink:

Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

thechubbsdub
80-90 Mem No: 6445

Post by thechubbsdub »

might be worth posting this on the alternative fuels forum.
Don't eat yellow snow.

http://www.helpinghandscambodia.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

glenn77

Post by glenn77 »

I have posted in both just in case...

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

This going to get complicated.

2 posts the same in 2 different places :shock:

Which one should we reply to ?
Got a new van, but it's a 165bhp T4 [shock horror] Accurate LPG Station map here

glenn77

Post by glenn77 »

Hmmm ....just this one i suppose - i see what you mean - the technical forum gets more traffic than the LPG forum - so i guess more people will read this one.

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Hi,
for information.

I have 3 gasure set-ups. Between 3 and 4 years old. I had had confilicting advice on what needed servicing and when. But had a couple of running issues which occured on gas, so Steve suggested a service as a first port of call. Turned out to be dizzy related, not gas related, but hey, I know the gas system is fine!

Elite VW have been trained by gasure in fitting and servicing.

I had my eldest system back to elite for a service. Here's what they did.
1) check all electrical connections in engine bay.
2) removed and cleaned all the valves
3) removed and replaced the FILTER - you know what an air filter looks like? Well, this is a tiny one of them, about the size of a penny and 1cm deep. This collects OIL, which is the carrier for the LPG. Mine was quite blocked.
4) checked the gas analysis and altered settings until the balance was correct

cost £40

Hope this helps
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

ghost123uk

Post by ghost123uk »

ermie571 wrote: 1) check all electrical connections in engine bay.
2) removed and cleaned all the valves
3) removed and replaced the FILTER - you know what an air filter looks like? Well, this is a tiny one of them, about the size of a penny and 1cm deep. This collects OIL, which is the carrier for the LPG. Mine was quite blocked.
4) checked the gas analysis and altered settings until the balance was correct

cost £40

Hope this helps

It does :)

Re items 2 & 3 - It's raining so I ain't going out looking at mine right now, but I wonder were these valves and the filter are located on the unit.

I have experimented with the mixture settings (both normal & tick-over mixture) to the extent I am now familiar with what they do.

ermie571

Post by ermie571 »

ghost,

sorry - can't give you explicit location, as each fitting is slightly different. And although I watched while he did it, this was some considerable time ago, and I can't remember what was where! I do remember Mick saying that filter was particularly inaccessible (was hidden in the void behind light cluster) but it was close to the vapouriser which is bolted to the left hand side of engine bay. IIRC there is a circular housing in the pipework which houses the filter - I think Mick unscrewed it?? But please don't quote me on that!!

As for where the valves were....sorry - drawn a blank on that - but they were tiny, metal and spring, and Mick just gave them a quick clean and blow. He said they were fine.

Em
x

ahhh - its coming back - think there was a valve in the tank (have a terrodial one, and Mick took the centre cover off and did something with the gubbins in there) and there was one other in the system somewhere!

*******Please treat this information with all the confidence of an unexploded bomb!! Ie look but don't touch!!! I wouldn't want to touch it, which is why I went to someone who knew what they were doing!***************

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

Does it not start on petrol first then switch to gas?

as mine starts on petrol then switches to gas when I press the go faster peddle
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

ermie571

Post by ermie571 »

Nah...different set up - running carbs, not injection system - I start on gas!

Em
x

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

glenn77 wrote: I turn the van over and over whilst pumping the gas pedal for about 2 + minutes.

You shouldn't 'pump the pedal' at all, press it to the floor once and slowly lift off your foot ... this 'sets' the choke, turn the key and it should fire up straight away. The engine will rev quite high at this point, just gently blip the accelerator pedal and it should drop down to half choke 1200rpm ish. Once it get's warm it should drop itself down to 800ish otherwise blip the throttle again and it should drop to 800rpm.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

LPG/ Petrol selector unit, check that the LPG system is ''priming', when you switch the ignition on. The LPG LEDs should light for a few seconds (then go out) to inject a small quantity of gas sufficient to enable engine start. If it isn't priming you will find it very difficult to start. The priming duration is user adjustable on most LPG systems (usually from the back of the switch unit). Once the engine starts the control unit opens all the LPG solenoids to deliver gas.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

Post by toomanytoys »

AngeloEvs wrote:LPG/ Petrol selector unit, check that the LPG system is ''priming', when you switch the ignition on. The LPG LEDs should light for a few seconds (then go out) to inject a small quantity of gas sufficient to enable engine start. If it isn't priming you will find it very difficult to start. The priming duration is user adjustable on most LPG systems (usually from the back of the switch unit). Once the engine starts the control unit opens all the LPG solenoids to deliver gas.

Try this as said... but instead of trying to start it, turn key off and back on then start it..

what you are then doing is putting a slug of gas in.. deffo need to do this when cold.. should be less of a problem when hot.

glenn77

Post by glenn77 »

Thankyou all very much for all the useful advice and suggestions. I have finally got a day off today to try some of them and have a good look over the system. I will report back any change or improvements. Thanks again... :ok