LPG & Insurance

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

illzlee
80-90 Mem No: 8010

LPG & Insurance

Post by illzlee »

Hi all,

Forgive me if i'm asking a common question but a search didn't produce many answers;

I'm currently fitting a LPG kit i bought from ricicles off here, to my panel van that is going to be a daily driver - it's currently not insured but i'm collating quotes.
I obviously won't have an installation certificate but am looking for a motor engineer to produce one for insurance purposes.

Would anyone running LPG mind sharing who their insurance company is? and how tolerant they are to LPG?

ta! :ok

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Re: LPG & Insurance

Post by kevtherev »

Adrian flux

An lpg installer will be the only folks to give you a sustificate
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

LV are reasonable. Mine is self installed and cost about £50-00 for a safety Inspection and CO set up. DVLA must be notified and they will require you to submit the Safety Cerificate or Engineers Report (original not a duplicate). Most, if not all, insurance companies will look for the first opportunity not to pay up in the event of a claim so you are right to get it certificated even if the Insurance company don't require to see it.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

illzlee
80-90 Mem No: 8010

Post by illzlee »

who did your safety certificate? :?:

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Lucky around here as we have a few>- Jaymic, Tinley Tech, WTV-UK and 4-Tech, I used WTV-UK. Just a point, some insurers will only accept a cert from an LPGA approved installer or their appointed Motor Engineer.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

There is an installer in Ripley who may be willing (at a price) to certify your DIY job ... let me find the number ... 01773 741230.

Now I've only ever bought gas there once or twice a while ago, chatted to the lad for a few minutes while filling up and they mostly do Jeeps, R/Rover and the bigger multicylinder stuff so can't comment further ... however for your conversion needs I would only ever trust or suggest Steve Shaw.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

Flibbertigibbet
80-90 Mem No: 1080

Post by Flibbertigibbet »

AngeloEvs wrote:LV are reasonable. Mine is self installed and cost about £50-00 for a safety Inspection and CO set up. DVLA must be notified and they will require you to submit the Safety Cerificate or Engineers Report (original not a duplicate). Most, if not all, insurance companies will look for the first opportunity not to pay up in the event of a claim so you are right to get it certificated even if the Insurance company don't require to see it.

DVLA have never wanted to know about my vans runnign on lpg so to say they must be notified is incorrect
member 1080

keyboard-wielding harridan

trollop@club80-90.co.uk

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

Think you are wrong FlibbertiGibbet, any change to a vehicles fuel type should be notified to DVLA by the owner. When I converted mine to LPG I was advised by the company carrying out the inspection that DVLA 'must' be notified as well as my insurance company. In the event of an emergeny/accident I would imagine that the police and fire brigade would want that information if I was not able to tell them. The DVLA website does not implicitly state that you are breaking the law by not informing them but here is what it says:-

You'll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the following changes to your vehicle:

* colour
* engine
* cylinder capacity
* fuel type (propulsion)
* replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell
* seating capacity
* weight of a goods vehicle

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Post by CycloneMike »

As above it does say you should inform them.
However they'll only really be interested if it changes the amount of tax you pay, which it won't due to the age of the van, which is a shame.
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

Again as above and also be aware that in a total loss situation your insurance will try to find a way out of paying up, we have had claims refused because the log book says petrol when it should have been petrol / gas, be warned.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

Flibbertigibbet
80-90 Mem No: 1080

Post by Flibbertigibbet »

AngeloEvs wrote:Think you are wrong FlibbertiGibbet, any change to a vehicles fuel type should be notified to DVLA by the owner. When I converted mine to LPG I was advised by the company carrying out the inspection that DVLA 'must' be notified as well as my insurance company. In the event of an emergeny/accident I would imagine that the police and fire brigade would want that information if I was not able to tell them. The DVLA website does not implicitly state that you are breaking the law by not informing them but here is what it says:-

You'll need to tell the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the following changes to your vehicle:

* colour
* engine
* cylinder capacity
* fuel type (propulsion)
* replacing or modifying the chassis/monocoque bodyshell
* seating capacity
* weight of a goods vehicle

No I am not wrong I tried on more than 3 occasions to let the D.V.L.A. know about me running on l.p.g. and they diod not want to know .it is not about me being right or wrong but what I was told by the D.V.L.A. they did not want to know said it was irrelevant
member 1080

keyboard-wielding harridan

trollop@club80-90.co.uk

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

:shock: they changed it on ours ... perhaps you weren't forceful enough ! :run

Ian :lol:
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Changed it on ours too. Was no problem to change, except first try they changed it to just gas, so had to send it in again to get it both gas and petrol. :ok
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

AngeloEvs

Post by AngeloEvs »

I ammended the V5, sent it off and they replied asking for the certificate. V5 returned with cert and reads Petrol - Gas. I phoned DVLA once about a SORN issue and it was the most frustrating experience ever - never ending menu options, half an hour of pressing buttons - nearly threw the phone at the wall! :twisted:

BaaaadSlider
80-90 Mem No: 2777
Location: Folkingham, Lincs-where the chocolate factory is :)

Post by BaaaadSlider »

i also filled in the V5 and sent it off stating it was using gas and petrol it came back ammended :D
Owner of the Bad Bus 1.9 1989T25 running on LPG
ImageImage