LPG on a diesel engine?

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

karlyau
80-90 Mem No: 0

LPG on a diesel engine?

Post by karlyau »

Sorry if this is a really stupid question. Can you have an LPG Conversion on a diesel? (1600 Turbo I believe).

If not, how much would it cost to convert to a twin tank WVO solution - with electric witches for changing the oil?

Final question - is there any way (and is it worth) of increasing the power on the above engine. I dont want a hot-hatch or anything but an extra 10 mph or so would be useful Currently it runs really well - up to about 60, but it is on a wing and a prayer if it will get up to 70.
best Regards,

Karl (and Gretel)

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Re: LPG on a diesel engine?

Post by Titus A Duxass »

LPG on a diesel engine
- in a word - no.
Final question - is there any way (and is it worth) of increasing the power on the above engine.
You could try an intercooler + oil cooler and a modified (longer) gearbox - not cheap though.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

There is a conversion for LPG - Diesel but a friend of mine found that the cost savings didn't make it worth while. Its more about power increase IIRC.
1987 DG Karisma LPG with remodelled interior

karlyau
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by karlyau »

Thanks folks.
best Regards,

Karl (and Gretel)

jamesc76
80-90 Mem No: 1186

Post by jamesc76 »

Titus A Duxass wrote:
LPG on a diesel engine
- in a word - no.

In a word yes but unless you do megga miles in it just not woth the bother, you need the head off the engine sent away to be converted plus all the ignition system set up for it !!
DJ at Dubdayz Summerfest
Now cutting about in an LT35 MWB

DoKa90
80-90 Mem No: 4908

Post by DoKa90 »

if you want to run WVO, you will need tankis in your garage set up for filtering. and the van may lose around 5-10% power on WVO. plus, if you're planning any long trips, you'd have to take all the WVO with you for the entire trip, unless you arrange with someone at your detination or en route to get some more, pre-filtered.

looky here. LOTS of useful info.

your best bet i'd say is to get the 1.6TD set up and serviced properly. as Baxter and others are always syaing, there's nowt wrong with em, they just need to be kept sweet.
"Great Scott!"