LPG Subaru Conversion

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

LPG Subaru Conversion

Post by CycloneMike »

Hello all, a bit of help needed please.
I plan to fit LPG conversion to my EJ22 Subaru engined van.
I am getting on well but does anyone know where I should tap into the cooling system for the vaporiser?
The Subaru engine requires a continuous return to the engine to keep the stat open and prevent overheating, so it has a bypass valve bridging the feed and return from the heater. My van is plumbed as below. I can't decide if I should put it in place of the bypass or bridge accross at another point.
http://www.rjes.com/html/circuit_design.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can anyone offer any useful advice or wisdom re this (I am aware of certification and insurance issues etc).
Thanks,
Mike.
Last edited by CycloneMike on 23 Jan 2009, 21:17, edited 1 time in total.
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787

Globbits
80-90 Mem No: 0

Re: LPG SUbaru Coversion

Post by Globbits »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but do NOT LPG your Scooby engine - you will kill it :cry:
The valve guides on Subaru's are much closer tolerance than our old VW flat 4's and the lack of lubrication because LPG is dry will stretch the valves very quickly.

I had a Legacy (from new) which I converted to LPG after 10,000 miles. By 40,000 miles, the valves had stretched so far the engine wouldn't run - which was fortunate really, because if it had still run, they would have snapped.

The only saving grace may be this Flashlube stuff. I have no experience of it, but it's supposed to offer improved lubriation for engine top-ends. It may be that you can use it to stop the valve-wear, or at least slow it down.

Probably not the advice you were looking for, I know, but better to be fully informed about these things :?

Richard
We're gonna need a bigger barn soon!

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Speak to Steve at Gasure :ok

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

As the man says if the Subaru motor is not protected by the flashlube system it will stretch the valves, we use the flashlube system on anything japanese, anything ford or anything american as standard.
I have converted EJ20, EJ22 and the twin turbo E30 or E36 sports cars, one has around 45000 miles on its conversion and is fine, the others are arouns 10-15000 and are fine.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

CycloneMike
80-90 Mem No: 3787

Re: LPG Subaru Conversion

Post by CycloneMike »

Thank you.
Flashlube it is then.
Interesting that Subaru now sell LPG'd cars from new, I wonder how well they will last, or perhaps they have some sort of lube up system fitted to them.
NO PIES CAKES OR BEER LEFT IN THIS VAN OVERNIGHT.
Member Number 3787