LPG system concerns

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Donald360
80-90 Mem No: 5170

LPG system concerns

Post by Donald360 »

I have an lpg system on my 1985 autosleeper hightop. It is probably at least 12 years old now, but when I contacted the garage that fitted the system (MSS Autogas Centre - based at Mickelton Srvice Station - near Evesham) their records did not go that far back. The person I spoke to did say he sort of remembered the van as, unusually, it was fitted with two large underslung cylindrical tanks as well as a doughnut tank at the front (underneath where the spare wheel used to be). To be honest I wasn't very happy with the vague nature of their responses to my questions and their lack of any records. When I bought the van, about a year ago, I got no paperwork of any sort to do with the lpg system and didn't think to ask - I was a complete newbie at the time.

I live in Fife in Scotland, so a trip to the garage Gloucestershire is a bit out of my way. I went to a local lpg fitter in Kirkcaldy, but as the system was different from the ones he fitted, he was not too happy about servicing it. The system seems to start and run ok. At first it was giving a very poor mpg so I tweaked the 'power-valve' a quarter of a turn as i thought the mixture might be too rich and that did seem to improve things - we get about 20 mpg - not much different from running on petrol.

My two concerns are regarding regular servicing and the condition of the underslung tanks. I have no idea what, if any, servicing my system needs and if any parts need to be replaced periodically - some kind of user manual would be very useful. Also, regarding the two large underslung tanks - much of the protective paint/underseal has flaked off of these. I am wondering if it will be ok to treat the surface rust and repaint. Any advice would be very welcome. The chap in Kirkcaldy sucked in his breath when he saw them and suggested I buy a new system (from him!) but I reckon they are still pretty sound and the rust is (at the moment) a cosmetic problem.

Cheers,
Donald.

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: LPG system concerns

Post by Mocki »

morning
i wouldnt think you have much to worry about, the servicing of the earlier systems is pretty much non existant, apart from cleaning the filter bowl out just before the vaporiser, there isnt a deal you could do.
as for the tanks, they are not paper thin, and a bit of surface rust isnt anything to worry about, so id be giving them a clean and a respray of some sort and not worrying about it.

to be honest, the valves in the tanks will give up before the tank rusts through, and you wont need to worry about that for a good while i wouldnt think.

has it had any replacement parts in that time?
a few pictures wouldnt go a miss either.
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

Willoughby
80-90 Mem No: 3068

Re: LPG system concerns

Post by Willoughby »

Spotted

Best bet is give Steve at Gasure a bell, http://www.gasure.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; he will keep you on the straight and narrow.

I done a fair bit of digging and couldn't find any one who has converted a ac T25. The only place in Scotland that didn't try and fob me off was autogas in Hillington Glasgow. He has never converted one but knows the engines.

I ended up going to Gasure in Chester my only regret is I never done is sooner.

K
http://www.parka.plus.com/cookie" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - wee test for me.

Kev.