LPG - Poor/Non Starting on petrol

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Mocki
Membership Admin
80-90 Mem No: 428

Re: LPG - Poor/Non Starting on petrol

Post by Mocki »

redex.
then use it get it gone out of the way, orrible stuff.
i have about a gallon in mine that i keep for apsolute emergencys, it runs like poo on it, but will get me to lpg station . other than that, leave it in their pump, you are never futher than a gallon from a petrol station, if you are unlucky enough to be that far from a lpg station........
Steve
tel / txt O7947-137911
👀

1989 2.1LpgWBX HiTop Leisuredrive Camper
1988 2.1 Caravelle TS TinTop Camper 

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

Halfords sell it
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Petrol will keep in metal tanks for a year or so no problem. In plastic it degrades faster. I've started vehicles after setting for years without putting new petrol in. Not alot of power until new fuel is added but they started and ran. :ok
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

Like Mocki, I keep "get me to the nearest fuel station" petrol in the tank (I think its sitting just on the reserve block now). Fancy carrying all that weight around!!

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

lloyd wrote:Petrol will keep in metal tanks for a year or so no problem. In plastic it degrades faster. I've started vehicles after setting for years without putting new petrol in. Not alot of power until new fuel is added but they started and ran. :ok
sorry to disagree lloyd but you're very wrong. it wont keep in any container thats vented wether plastic. metal or whatever. and the stuff we buy nowadays goes off in a few months.
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

lloyd

Post by lloyd »

Rozzo wrote:sorry to disagree lloyd but you're very wrong. it wont keep in any container thats vented wether plastic. metal or whatever. and the stuff we buy nowadays goes off in a few months.
All fuel containers are vented. Even tank farms. :wink:
And tank farms store it for long time.

MOBS

eatcustard
80-90 Mem No: 6062

Post by eatcustard »

To put the matter to rest read here

http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/557467" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.penguinjones.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; PM me for your 10% discount

lloyd

Post by lloyd »

100% petrol has a long shelf life. Ethanol blended petrol has a much shorter shelf life. Both are dependent on how they are stored.
http://www.fuel-testers.com/expiration_ ... l_gas.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is much disagreement and it's hard to find factual information.

MOBS

Bond007
80-90 Mem No: 5705

Post by Bond007 »

Well mine's been a real bitch to start lately :(

1.9 FI with LPG.

I was thinking something in the cold start circuit of the FI had gone kaput, as it seems to run really rich on petrol from cold (when it starts!) and it started running real lumpy/misfiring like on 3 cylinders until it got warm then runs like a dream.

If I start it and catch it on the first crank, and rev it so it switches straight onto gas, recently it was still lumpy/misfirng, like on 3 cylinders until warm, but last few days it's running from cold (on gas) really nice.

It's just the initial starting.

But a fiver of petrol in yesterday, and spent 20 minutes at the pumps getting her going again. Once she started ran like a dream. I wonder if the petrol tank could do with a flush out. Had a new fuel filter last September.

????
Camper less at present :-(

Bond007
80-90 Mem No: 5705

Post by Bond007 »

Well I think my problem is down to 'sludgy petrol syndrome' or whatever you want to call it :(

Still refused to start this morning, but cranking over fine.
Checked for a good spark and no problems there.
Pulled both sets of injectors out and checked operation. All good, except the plastic cover on one of the injectors was mashed on the end and restricting fuel flow a bit. So as a temp measure I cut it to clear the injector. Will have to source some new ones as well as some new seals.
The injector securing screw sheared on 3 & 4 cylinders, typical, so will have to drill, tap, and put a new screw in.

Checked for a good return flow from the regulator and that was good.

Tried her again and she ran really rough for a short while, popping and farting and wouldn't rev above 1000rpm, so wouldn't switch over to gas. Put in another gallon of fuel and after a couple attempts like this she eventually 'cleared her lungs' and revved enough to switch onto gas, and ran really nice.

Given the old girl a good run today, including 4 stops and starts and she has started and ran well, apart from the tickover is a bit low and lumpy, but i put this down to the 3&4 injectors not being securly held in (see above).

I assume VW Commercial is the place to get the seals and plastic injector covers :?:
Camper less at present :-(