poor running on LPG

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

NewarkNutter
80-90 Mem No: 4762

poor running on LPG

Post by NewarkNutter »

I have been running my 2L air cooled on LPG for years now. Always been very good. The thing is we have decided to get rid of our much loved T25 and buy a coach built, because the family are growing and we are expecting another in the spring, just not enough room. I know we are traitors!
Soon after we decided to sell, the damn thing began to not run properly on gas. I initially suspected the ignition system. Changed plugs, cap rotor and leads. Checked timing, swapped the coil. still the same.
I then turned my attention to the gas system. re adjusted and re adjusted but to no avail. In desperation I striped the vaporizer and the cut off valve/filter and cleaned everything out. still no improvement.
It seems to be "fuel starving" just won't pull/rev. Will rev under no load at moderate throttle openings, not a full throttle.
I investigated the fuel starvation theory further and have discovered that there is some resistance in the gas flowing through the exhaust heat exchanger. I can't remember how free this flowed when fitted, but there was a lot of cr*p in the vaporizer and the filter when I cleaned them out. Could the poker be clogged? Has anyone experienced this before? is there any way to free/clean it?
I don't want to spend a lot, because, as I said I am about to sell. Just question how much I will get for it if advertised with a gas conversion that doesn't work.

any advice gratefully received.

Andy
Member 4762

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

would help if you knew who converted it... maybe ask them for help too?
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

six

Re: poor running on LPG

Post by six »

Hi
I have a 2.1i DJ and it too suddenly seems to be suffering fuel starvation on LPG.... impco CA100-3-9 vapouriser. Original fitters not in business. Did you find the answer? Can I send you a photo of the set up see if you can point me at possible filters? Reason is I live in spain and there ain't no lpg fitters here... regards