69 litres of LPG in a 60 litre tank???

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Miss Marple
80-90 Mem No: 2643

69 litres of LPG in a 60 litre tank???

Post by Miss Marple »

Hi all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to put 69+ litres of LPG in a 60 litre tank? Stupid question I know, but I filled up on Friday, normally costing around £32, but stopped filling when I had spent £40!!! The pump would have kept going, and it didn't feel anywhere near like it was slowing down. Now, I have my receipt which states 69 litres were bought, I have my certificate which states I only have a 60 litre tank, but now I need to get my facts straight before I make an idiot of myself back at the petrol station. It was a cold morning when I filled up, but I have filled up in much colder weather and never got anywhere near £40!
1985 Autosleeper 1900 poptop

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

oooo trading standards would like to hear this :wink:
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Nicky
80-90 Mem No: 3823

Post by Nicky »

We had a very similar experience at Honiton, at the BP station coming back from a meet.

We have an 80 litre tank, will take 65-68 lts to fill. We ended putting in 77 litres and, like you, the pump was still merrily busy pumping as fast as a petrol pump.

We didn't say anything at the time, but was a BP station, so I contacted BP, who said they would look into it. They, apparently, say they did give the owner of the station our name and addy , but have had no contact from them.

I guess they've had enough time to get back to us. :oops:
MOBS

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

No, that is not possible, are you absolutley sure the pump zeroed before starting delivery? if so you need to contact your local weights and measures or trading standards as the garage does not have their pump metered correctly, as always give the garage a chance to make amends in the first instance, you have a 60ltr tank and it should fill to 80%, that's 48ltrs maximum.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

Miss Marple

Post by Miss Marple »

Okay, many thanks for the responses. I am now armed and dangerous and will return to the petrol station. I will let you know the outcome.

Miss Marple

Post by Miss Marple »

Well, I went back to the garage and was suitably fobbed off. The LPG man is going to have a look at the pump and give me a call. Apparently the garage is just an agent for the LPG and have no control or responsibility for the pump, so I will wait for the call. What concerned me was the manager mentioned that this has happened before at a different franchise, and he tried to explain that my tank has a safety 'flap' which stops the tank filling to its full capacity. If mine were faulty the tank would keep filling until it may explode! He explained away the 69 litres on compression/temperature, and said that the LPG man will probably say my tank is faulty. Again, is this a possibility? I have to have the facts ready for if I get the phone call. My knowledge of the mechnics of the tank and nature of LPG is very limited and I fear I may be blinded by facts from the LPG man. Steve, the pump was definitely reset to zero before I started.

steve8090
R.I.P.

Post by steve8090 »

What absolute nonsense, they really will try anything to fob you off, just tell them you are going to trading standards and they'll soon change their tune, have you filled it up anywhere else? even if the tank did fill to its capacity of 60ltrs it would definitiely not explode, there is a lot of protection against that including the integrity of the tank, yours has filled beyond its physical capacity so that in itself should tell you there is something wrong with the pump.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
01244 659740

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

This is why I stopped using our local one (Cower's Lane) ... went on filling to '56 litres' but strangely ran out at 150 miles instead of 180 :evil: Twas only 47ppl after the others had gone up ... the attendant just shrugged and said 'That's unusual' ... I voted with my feet.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

steve8090
R.I.P.

Post by steve8090 »

I've just been on the phone to Stako the manufacturer of the tank and the UK concessionaire for these and both are more than willing to back up my statements and would also be willing to give statements for any legal action you may want to take on this matter, get it into your head that it is a physical impossibility to fill a 60ltr tank with 67ltrs of liquid gas.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
01244 659740

Miss Marple

Post by Miss Marple »

I haven't filled up anywhere since as I want to see how many miles I get from this tank. Is there any truth in the 'safety flap' theory? I understand now that the tank will definitely not explode, but is there any chance the tank could fill to the full 60 litre capacity if faulty? I know it still doesn't explain the 69 litres. Your advice is much appreciated, its nice to have some knowledgable brains to pick.

hakuna matata
80-90 Mem No: 2391

Post by hakuna matata »

which petrol statoin did u fill up at???????

neil.
Love the Heart that hurts you,
But never Hurt the heart that loves you.

Don,t worry Be Happy !!!

lambrettalee

Post by lambrettalee »

RE the 80% capacity thing , mine has filled to its max from dead empty twice... the installer said it was due to the tank not shutting off when it should have, is your tank bigger than you think?? just a thought,

Flibbertigibbet
80-90 Mem No: 1080

Post by Flibbertigibbet »

my Aircooled with 80 litre tank shut off at 66 litres I knew it was full and i wasn't allowed to put anymore in however my watercooled with a 60 litre tank shuts off on the pump at about 45 litres so either way I am told it has enought gas in it .like the others say go to your local weights and measures people
member 1080

keyboard-wielding harridan

trollop@club80-90.co.uk

Cruz
80-90 Mem No: 2092

Post by Cruz »

steve8090 wrote:I've just been on the phone to Stako the manufacturer of the tank and the UK concessionaire for these and both are more than willing to back up my statements and would also be willing to give statements for any legal action you may want to take on this matter, get it into your head that it is a physical impossibility to fill a 60ltr tank with 67ltrs of liquid gas.

I wish pubs round here used pint glasses that are like these phantom tanks :lol:

Miss Marple

Post by Miss Marple »

steve8090 wrote:I've just been on the phone to Stako the manufacturer of the tank and the UK concessionaire for these and both are more than willing to back up my statements and would also be willing to give statements for any legal action you may want to take on this matter, get it into your head that it is a physical impossibility to fill a 60ltr tank with 67ltrs of liquid gas.

Thanks for your efforts Steve, at least I know I have some great back up should I need it and I'm also armed with the facts. I will see what the LPG man has to say and if it is not in my favour I will be contacting trading standards or similar and take the matter further. I will let you know how I get on. Thanks everyone for your responses!