69 litres of LPG in a 60 litre tank???

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Miss Marple
80-90 Mem No: 2643

Post by Miss Marple »

hakuna matata wrote:which petrol statoin did u fill up at???????

neil.

Neil, it was the new Shell garage at the top of the A6 just out of Birstall. Lee had problems with it a few weeks ago when it was filling really slowly and stopped at around £13 when our tank had been completely empty to start with. Have you used it?
1985 Autosleeper 1900 poptop

hakuna matata
80-90 Mem No: 2391

Post by hakuna matata »

no ive not used that shell petrol station . i use the gas station on Ravensbridge road .off Blackbird road.
you can,t go wrong because they only sell gas , and the price is good aswell.been using that place since the van was lpg no problems at all.
neil.
Love the Heart that hurts you,
But never Hurt the heart that loves you.

Don,t worry Be Happy !!!

eric
80-90 Mem No: 2216

Re: 69 litres of LPG in a 60 litre tank???

Post by eric »

Miss Marple, what transpired?

Eric.
Not really an unsociable sod, just gives a good impression.
Member: 2216.

Miss Marple
80-90 Mem No: 2643

Post by Miss Marple »

Sorry for the long wait, but to be honest, I'm a bit embarrased that I ended up just letting the matter go and not using the petrol station again. I contacted trading standards who were very negative and fairly unhelpful. The 'gas man' phoned me and was very patronising calling me 'darling' and 'love' and stating that the maufacturers of the tank (who had said it was impossible for the tank to hold that much) were fobbing me off! I did point out that they had no reason to fob me off and that he did, but he didn't seem to be listening. Anyway, I'm afraid I left it there and have never used that petrol station again, putting the whole event down to experience. I now watch the pump very carefully when filling, and if it ever happens again I will refuse to pay and see what happens then. Steve, I appreciate all your efforts.
1985 Autosleeper 1900 poptop

djw113uk
80-90 Mem No: 7618

Post by djw113uk »

I managed to get 167 litres into my 80 litre tank, which usually maxes out at 45! The pumps stop at 105, so I thought I would keep trying.. and thats what it stopped at. I have an account with countrywide, and this was their evesham branch. I got in touch, and they said the pump reset had clearly gone wrong... they knocked the whole lot off my bill - thankyou very much.

Did you know that unlike petrol / diesel, LPG pumps arent callibrated?

I keep a running average, and I know that some are "stronger" than others, that pump was clearly off though as I was stood theer about 3 minutes and had 45 litresa laready.. that usually takes at least 8 mins!

Still way cheaper than petrol - on average, but you have to watch it!

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

ahhh man this sucks, you try and do something to make fuel cheaper and then greed kicks in again. they should have calibration equipment on all their pumps!
Das AutoWagen.

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

xpress wrote:ahhh man this sucks, you try and do something to make fuel cheaper and then greed kicks in again. they should have calibration equipment on all their pumps!

This is a very tiny minority, the vast majority of the time you can tell almost exactly how many litres of gas you'll get in (from your trip meter .. in our case divided by 3.6) and how much it'll cost ... the only real certainty though is that it'll be LOADS cheaper than petrol :rofl :rofl

Ian :ok
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

xpress
80-90 Mem No: 6827

Post by xpress »

i like loads cheaper than petrol :P
Das AutoWagen.

djw113uk
80-90 Mem No: 7618

Post by djw113uk »

I stand corrected....
I have a countrywide account - south west area, and because that station was out of order I had to use a BP down the A46. I know my 80 litre tank usually takes 45 litres, and I hadnt done my usual mileage, so was somewhat shocked when it took 67 litres, particularly when it was 6p dearer than countrywide!
I questioned the guy on the till, who advised that they often get that, and its due to temp etc... so I left, and called the station manager. She advised that it was okay when last checked, and would get it rechecked that day. Being an untrusting kinda person, I then spoke to the technical guys at countrywide who explained that yes it is all callibrated, 2% maximum error is allowed - against the garage, eg. in the customers favour. He also explained how its done, and it all sounds pretty accurate.

I also spoke to trading standards, who took my number, and I havent heard from them since.... :|

Anyway, on my way back past later I called back in. They had had it checked, and it was nearly spot on - he even showed me the check certificate and the numbers tested. I was impressed that they actually listened and did what they said to be honest!

This was backed up when the following day I filled up at my usual station... it took 8 litres, and I had done 160 miles.... 80MPG - yes please!!

At least I now know they ARE callibrated and you can get it checked. I am also well impressed that BP listened to a moaning customer and took action so quickly

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

djw113uk wrote: I know my 80 litre tank usually takes 45 litres, and I hadnt done my usual mileage, so was somewhat shocked when it took 67 litres

Pardon my menkal maffs but from empty your 80 litre tank should take 80% i.e. 64 litres. By the same logic our 65 litre tank holds about 52 litres on a cold day and 50 on a warm day.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

Ian Hulley wrote: <snip> our 65 litre tank holds about 52 litres on a cold day and 50 on a warm day.

Is this true that on cold days you get more in?

My 100l tank was bone dry and I filled it with 90l on Sat morning when the temperature was -2 and it had sat overnight outside at -5. I stopped at 90l as I thought there was an 80% capacity limit and was a bit concerned.

Did I actually get 90l in or should I be checking with filling station if their pump is accurate?
Patrick.
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG

steve8090
R.I.P.
80-90 Mem No: 2

Post by steve8090 »

Patrick

Yours is a four hole tank, they fill a little more than the single hole tanks, 90ltrs on a cold day is fine on your tank, at normal ambient temperature you should get about 85 ltrs in that tank so do not worry its fine.
Steve Shaw
Club80-90 Founder Member
Full Service, LPG conversions, Security and Camper Accessories.
see http://www.gasure.co.uk for full details.
01244 659740

syncropatrick
80-90 Mem No: 5294

Post by syncropatrick »

Thanks Steve. :ok
Campervan Dehler Profi hightop Syncro 16” AGG