TDi's and "bio/veg" fuel??

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

toomanytoys
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 41

TDi's and "bio/veg" fuel??

Post by toomanytoys »

Will a TDi 90 run happily on it? or does the pump need new seals?
Or should I not bother?

Seems to be a lot of different opinions on it.. some say yes some say no..

What if you ran it 50/50 Ie never on just bio??

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

Think opinions vary greatly on this one Simon.

Viton seals for 100% I should think, I've used a bit of bio now and again, quite a different thing to 100% or using SVO though...

Would be worth checking VWs official line for that engine, or Audis.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

Would prob only use 50/50 as a max in any case... (using home brew)

andysimpson
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by andysimpson »

Bio is approved in tdi 90, svo is going to cause problems and best avoided unless you want to kill the pump and engine.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Thanks Andy, so bio not explicitly approved in any of the PD or common rail engines yet?

Syncronaut No. 1

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

Bio.. as in from a pump on a forecourt thats made to a "standard"..

Ok.. good to know..

susan

Post by susan »

ive been useing bio fuel in my caddy van for the last 18 months with no probs at all its done more miles in 18 months then most will do in ten years

its a 53 reg (old shape caddy 1.9.tdi) when i got it had 11k on the clock and as just turned 196k !! now with no probs at all

the only real feul it gets in is on the return home and then its just say a tenner to get back so we can fill it right up on bi o

andysimpson

Post by andysimpson »

HarryMann wrote:Thanks Andy, so bio not explicitly approved in any of the PD or common rail engines yet?

Only very late stuff is not compatible with bio and will cause severe running problems very quickly. Older ones were compatible from about 94 on wards.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Yes Simon, that was what I was assuming as well, 'proper stuff' and assume Andy's reply also relates to pump Bio to an acknowledged European spec.

How much can you get it for on your travels do you reckon now?

I'm helping a friend where and when I can, work towards producing larger volumes of bio. They have been making 15~20 gallons a time so far, and what I've had from themcertianly looked good when I poured it in (... and tasted lovely when I had to bleed the pump once, perfect for those occasions!)
So far they have got a 400 litre settling tank up and filled to the brim with veg oil, with taps at various depths for draining off the water and muck, as a first stage before filtering.. even that is no mean feat, as its up over 6 ft high...

Thinking of the heating next, and looking at using the SVO itself to provide it...
Last edited by HarryMann on 10 Sep 2008, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Syncronaut No. 1

andysimpson

Post by andysimpson »

HarryMann wrote:

Yes Simon, that was what I was assuming as well, 'proper stuff' and assume Andy's reply also relates to pump Bio to an acknowledged European spec.

How much can you get it for on your travels do you reckon now?

The diesel on forecourts is only supposed to be 5% bio, this can't be avoided but if they start adding more i would expect the new tdi's to have even more problems than they have now. DPF's are ultra senstive to everything and when blocked causes lots of running problems and warning lights, even the wrong engine oil pisses them off.

toomanytoys
Trader

Post by toomanytoys »

2 x 1000L cubes sitting in France... :wink:
I dont own a D/TD/TDi........ but as I am doing some miles in UK its worth looking into.. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Just wanted to "clarify" for anyone thinking the same for an earlier TDi.... thats why I asked.. :wink:

caveman
80-90 Mem No: 4842

Post by caveman »

I just had 2 trucks in my shop with big running problems due to high concentrations of biodiesel. One was an 1982 T25 which has about 150,000kms on it and it still has the original fuel tank. Well can you guess what happened? I had exactly the same complaint on both trucks-which BTW are also converted for WVO. First they started having problems running on WVO, switched over to diesel but soon after started having poor running on that also. Replace fuel filters, blow out the lines ,send them on their way. Well both came back a couple of weeks ago, [both on the same day as a funny coincidence ] with the same problem again. Remove fuel filters again, both full of rust. The tank on the T25 was removed and cleaned the other one had to be replaced. Both trucks are mid eightes, with their original tanks which the biodiesel strpped clean the insides of the tanks. moral of the story-if your truck is got tons of milage and the tank isn't plastic-be careful not to use too high a concentration at first, slowly up the percentage as not to shock the system .

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

Thanks caveman for the input...

Will this put the cost of 2nd hand plastic Syncro saddle tanks up? :)

Front full of dino-diesel, rear with bio...

Syncronaut No. 1