Tasso Gas Conversion -The Result

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

woz9
80-90 Mem No: 0

Tasso Gas Conversion -The Result

Post by woz9 »

For those that were kind enough to give we advise on my conversion with Tasso Gas l thought would let you know the outcome.
They did the conversion fitting a 50 Itr tank in the wardrobe. This was supposed to be 60 L but they could not get one from the supplier.
Anyway just got back from a quick 2week tour of Europe on LPG (GPL).

All in all a good experience van did 2500 miles mainly on LPG (apart from Switzerland who would not allow a converter to be used?)

Main problem came 50 miles short of Paris Thursday midnight when on running out of Gas after 120 miles (very disappointed with economy although l was hammering it) on flicking over to petrol the van came to a grinding halt on the hard shoulder.

It would not run on petrol and l couldn't get it Started so had to be rescued and taken to the nearest LPG station. On re- gassing she fired up straight away. However the 160 quid recovery cost probably cancelled out all the savings I made running on LPG (Gutted) She still won't run on petrol and is gong back in Monday.

2 questions really

1. What should l be getting on about 40L of Gas miles wise. At the start with the Mrs driving we got a max of 160 miles but then on way back ran out after 122 miles. I worked out about 13-14 miles gallon doing 65-70 mph?

2. Why will It not now work on petrol and shouldI be giving the recovery bill to tasso Gas?

Thanks again for advise I love the way she runs on gas cost of 1000 for conversion

Cheers and grateful for any comments
warren

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

If I were you I'd be speaking to your converter regarding a refund of your costs ! Sounds like the petrol stop solenoid has failed

As for economy we get 180ish from 50 litres commuting and ~210 on a long, steady run.

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Did you flick to petrol while you were on the move or were you stationary?Did you try priming the fuel pump? The petrol solenoid can be manually overidden in the event of a failure (you should have been told how to do that) but, like Ian says, it's under guarantee so get them to check it out. Fuel economy should be around 22 mpg but if you are fully loaded and whizzing along then could be less. It will need resetting now that the vapouriser has been heat cycled and they should also have advised you to return it.

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

worked out about 13-14 miles gallon doing 65-70 mph

I bet thats not too far out at those speeds... was it windy as well?
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

worked out about 13-14 miles gallon doing 65-70 mph

'kin 'ell that's caning it a bit.

I get 220 from 53L ...bout 18mpg at a steady 60.
(1.9dg hightop towing a boat)
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Ian Hulley
80-90 Mem No: 1323

Post by Ian Hulley »

Right, just read your initial (first) post before you had the conversion ...

I am having a LPG conversion on my 1.9 1990 Hi top next friday at Tasso Gas in Hammersmith, London town. They have quoted me £1050 incl Vat and are LPGA approved.

My questions really are

1. What do ask for in terms of size of tank I want, where it is installed, was hoping to go in spare wheel well underneath as reluctant to give up space in back. If so does this mean I travel with no spare or as anyone done this and got solutions as to where to store spare.

2. Anyone know of Tasso Gas, what else do I need to ask or ensure they do on the conversion?
How many miles should I get from a spare wheek tank?

I'm completely new to all this and a bit worried I'm doing the right thing. I'm going over to Europe the week after for 2 weeks and hoping this is going to save me a fair bit of money.
Any advise by you Gas Guru's would be gratefully appreciated

cheers...Warren

I'm not sure how much Gasure charge nowadays (we had our's converted a few years back) but the £1,050 sounds about the same I'd imagine .... however the difference is a) you'd have got a sensibly sized tank and b) you'd have the assurance that you could have rung Gasure and he'd have told you what the issue was, saving you £160.

I'd be expecting Tasso Gas to not only rectify their installation but also to refund your out of pocket expenses.

Please tell us how you go on. :wink:

BTW these engines weren't designed or made to be caned ... the weight of your right foot has a direct correlation to the weight of your wallet :cry:

Ian.
The Hulley's Bus
1989 2.1DJ Trampspotter
LPG courtesy of Steve @ Gasure

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

the weight of your right foot has a direct correlation to the weight of your wallet

Inverse square law I'd wager :D

Its got to be about 60~65 when the drag really kicks in, although someone with a Subaru in a panel van suggested to me that above 80, maybe the flow changes a bit for the better - just a theory that's unlikely ever to be proven

Syncronaut No. 1

Rozzo
80-90 Mem No: 3339

Post by Rozzo »

i always thought that 56mph was the optimum speed for drag versus energy consumption which is why cars mpg was always quoted at a constant 56mph on their test track :wink:
LT owner and positively rattling around with the new found space
member 3339

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

At the time it was chosen, was probably about the optimum for many mass-produced cars. But it's still just a number all the same. Today cars are relatively larger and heavier but have more efficient engines over a wider range of speeds - with very sound aerodynamic design.
This combination leads to economy that stays pretty constant over a higher and wider speed range, making the actual speed chosen maybe less important.
Aren't Tdi diesels in sleek saloons quite staggeringly tolerant of driving style these days, for instance? That's probably as important as the actual mpg @ 90 Km/h, because most drivers play off economy against performance in some way or other.

Syncronaut No. 1

ermie571
80-90 Mem No: 2129

Post by ermie571 »

woz9,

petrol thing sounds like the solenoid in boot......but beware.....it could also be your fuel pump.....I have had both experiences on two different vans. My petrol pump stopped working overnight. No warning. One day it went to petrol, the next time when I did the usual 10 miles a month on petrol no go. Lots of lovely clicks from the engine bay. Over-rode the gas system....no fuel to carb. Replace needle in pump and away she went.

A bit of advice.......when you get your van back......open the engine lid, and ask your fitter to point out EVERYTHING that they have put in there. Then ask them to explain the system to you....it need only be basic, but mke sure you understand what happens in what order and what does it. Make sure you know how to ISOLATE the gas system - there should be a little lever or something akin to this by the solenoid....you can turn it to put the system back to petrol, over-riding the solenoid that swtiches from gas to pterol. Put to petrol on the switch and you should be away.

Hope you sort it.

Em
x
2.1 DJ 1990 Caravelle (died and gone to heaven)
2.0 AGG (1997 ish) 1984 transporter LPG

HarryMann
Admin/Mod

Post by HarryMann »

... and manufacturers used to'frig' their cars to give a good figure at 90 k, seem to remember performance being upset badly on some 'economy' models. Ford spring to mind around the early 80's

Syncronaut No. 1

T'Onion
80-90 Mem No: 255

Post by T'Onion »

dont mess or touch anything , take it back to the Tasso Gas and ask him to get it sorted , maybe just a loose wire or even operator error , you did switch it to the middle setting for a minute or two before switching it to petrol didnt you ?

Like i said to the wessies (those running lpg/petrol vans) before our euro-trip , check to see if its working on petrol before you set off
victus in mutuo vicis
Ego mori tu mori

woz9
80-90 Mem No: 0

The Result After Tasso Gas

Post by woz9 »

Guys and Gals

Took it back to Tasso. They were good as gold the mechanic had a look quickly worked out that the petrol pump had failed. (Well done ermie571 exactly as you described!!) He then took it apart repaired it and put it back.

Did,nt think I could ask them to repay me for my expences seen as it was'nt there fault...not that necky!!

Anyway worked fine although the pump has gone again so I am gas only until my new one arrives off ebay.

Thanks for all those that responded sorry I took so long to get back.

He also adjusted the settings so as to aid better economy although he may have overdone it as the performance on gas has really dropped off since the adjustment?

Might have a play with it my self although I have no idea what I'm doing it a lavato system if anyone has knowledge.

Thanks all again..

Woz9

lloyd
80-90 Mem No: 3244

Post by lloyd »

Would suggest asking Tasso how to adjust or have them adjust it. Would think that should be what installation and setup is.
88 1.9 gassed w/Westy conversion & Reimo topper

MOBS