Corroded lpg tanks

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Donald360
80-90 Mem No: 5170

Corroded lpg tanks

Post by Donald360 »

Only just realised how corroded the two underslung lpg tanks are on our van. Much of the original paint has flaked off and parts of them are pretty crusty looking.

Is it enough to clean them up a bit and paint them with Vectan or Kurust and then paint them with Hammerite or some such? Or will I need to get replacements :cry:

I'm starting to think that this old system that i have, is becoming a bit of a can o' worms. I'm dreading what it might cost now to bring it all back up to standard. I don't have any certification for it and I am sure it hasn't been serviced for several years.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Try wire brushing them back and treating them but do not disturb any wires that go to the multivalve and do not force/disturb any 'pipes' that seem to connect to the tanks. LPG tanks are pretty durable but (and don't shoot the messenger!) , when you take the van in to the LPG people who are going to check the emissions, they may say that it doesn't comply with current safety regs anyway, (depends on tank clearance to ground). It may be OK so wait and see Donald. Before you spend any cash, just get them to give it a good look over and ask their opinion, and how much it would cost to get the system right?

Donald360
80-90 Mem No: 5170

Post by Donald360 »

The chap i spoke to in Kirkcaldy did say that the clearance was ok - over 200mm, so no problem there. I will try painting them and see how it goes after that.

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Great! Give them a good clean and paint job.....will probably outlast the van!