Cheap Veg Oil Heater

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

Wavehead
80-90 Mem No: 5509

Cheap Veg Oil Heater

Post by Wavehead »

Seen on e bay ... a cheap heater but are they any good??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :IT&ih=006
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

I fitted a heated fuel filter off a 1.9n renault clio m reg from a scrappy .I removed the thermostat which allowed the hot coolent to transfer its heat to the the veg oil completly . Used a highly efficiant heat exchanger from biotuning uk.The ebay example you show i considered a home brew like it but its not going to be as efficiant as the biotuning supplied one.

Wavehead

Post by Wavehead »

Yes that looks more like it

http://www.biotuning.co.uk/ShopHeatExchangers.htm

Whereabouts did you mount it and why do you need a heated filter as well?

camper
80-90 Mem No: 1710

Post by camper »

If you are going to do a veg oil installation its wise to read up on the bio fuel forums.The heated fuel filter is needed to preheat the veg oil svo/wvo as well as filtering then the heat exchanger keeps a constant engine coolent temp to the oil.The injection fuel pump if run on 100% veg oil needs the viscosity to be close to dino fuel the reason for the oil to be efficently heated to the pump.A two tank solution provides to start on diesel then when the engine has got hot coolent transfered heat to the heated fuel filter & heat exchanger the veg oil can then be switched over to the pump.This is how i have done my installation there are many topics on the web about this and the effect heated veg oil has on engine componants & may possible cause damage or effect the pump seals.The price of SVO appears to be close to pump price forcourt diesel WVO needs proper dewatering &filtering so if you have that in mind you are going to need to consider how you can do this.

Wavehead

Post by Wavehead »

camper wrote:If you are going to do a veg oil installation its wise to read up on the bio fuel forums.

I have read some of the posts and came away feeling even more confused :shock: ... I was looking at running at no more than a 50% ratio of new veg/diesel ... dont really want the hassle of seperate tanks as my annual mileage wont justify the outlay. If there is a chance of doing damage to the engine then I dont want to take the chance. :(