VW Engine Run On Water

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

If you want to know the physics behind this, ask your kids (if they are 15 or thereabouts). We get them to break water into its constituent atoms by adding a small amount of acid or anything that ionises the water. They simply put two probes connected to a DC source into the beaker and watch the water turn into hydrogen and oxygen. They capture the hydrogen as it flows up in the form of bubbles and delight when they 'pop' it with a naked light. Fortunately, we aint yet blown up any of the kids..........yet! Ask em about electrolysis, part of the science curriculum.

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

Gone quiet in this thread - have people given up with it/busy working on it/successfully using a kit? :?
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

AngeloEvs
80-90 Mem No: 4709

Post by AngeloEvs »

Gas and petrol coming down....... :D

dugcati

Post by dugcati »

hehehe

Other-Power
80-90 Mem No: 3353

Post by Other-Power »

dugcati wrote:Gone quiet in this thread - have people given up with it/busy working on it/successfully using a kit? :?

Busy but looking into it!
Its big, Its Blue, Its mine!

Other-Power

Post by Other-Power »

Found this in local press,

http://mail.tesco.net/do/mail/message/d ... GB&v=tesco

clipping about a local company in kent making these devices for HGV's
and thanks CovKid :wink:

Jon

dugcati

Post by dugcati »

and thanks CovKid Wink

Jon

You posted a link to tesco email...... :cry:

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

Haven't looked into this before although the oil issue has been on my mind for the last few years.

I'm not into doom and gloom , but with finite resources, growing demand and inevitably higher prices its not hard to see that oil will become more expensive and as a result society will have to change - either in consumption, attitude, technology (or all) if we aren't to revert back to the economics of the 19th century.

What you would end up with is a Mad Max scenario - not a good thought really, so the more people experiment with this stuff the faster things will happen.

Commercially available hydrogen conversions within 20 years? I think it feasible if enough people make it viable to produce at a decent price.

I'm certainly going to look at converting my own van. It might not be pretty but if it works its a big step forward and refinement can only improve things.

PM coming your way....

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

Other-Power

Post by Other-Power »

dugcati wrote:

and thanks CovKid Wink

Jon

You posted a link to tesco email...... :cry:

Doh!

[img:604:427]http://photos-e.ak.facebook.com/photos- ... 2_3239.jpg[/img]

Jon

poshbuggers
80-90 Mem No: 0

Post by poshbuggers »

Here's the Oil Drum official website:

http://www.save-fuel.co.uk/index.html

Cleverly licensed and packaged for businesses but a 10% only fuel economy benefit isn't going to save the world.

Quick buck maker or something to build on?

'90 Syncro Hightop. Ex-BUPA/Rowan ambulance with 2.0L GTI power and some curious windows.
)

VWlewis
80-90 Mem No: 2852

Post by VWlewis »

Hey Paul - you beat me to their website by 20 minutes! :lol: I have looked at this (Magic Bus's one) and am about to build my own too.

... but there is an issue with the power input and power output ... unless the laws of physics are about to be overturned. Of course the alternator gives you "free" power to drive the HHO cell ... which makes HHO to drive the engine which turns the alternator ... watch this space! :D
VW Fan :D Learned to drive in a T2, then drove a T1, later a T4, then a T5 (and a few Audis and Passats)
Now a proud T3 Caravelle GL 2.1 DJ WBX owner: "Dora the Explorer" .. by my reckoning, a T15 Driver!
Dr T15 Speaks!

Other-Power

Post by Other-Power »

VWlewis wrote:Hey Paul - you beat me to their website by 20 minutes! :lol: I have looked at this (Magic Bus's one) and am about to build my own too.

... but there is an issue with the power input and power output ... unless the laws of physics are about to be overturned. Of course the alternator gives you "free" power to drive the HHO cell ... which makes HHO to drive the engine which turns the alternator ... watch this space! :D

The HHO makes the burn of ICE better and more efficient. You cant run it of just water alone!

Other-Power

Post by Other-Power »

poshbuggers wrote:Here's the Oil Drum official website:

http://www.save-fuel.co.uk/index.html

Cleverly licensed and packaged for businesses but a 10% only fuel economy benefit isn't going to save the world.

Quick buck maker or something to build on?

It wont save the world, no, but if you spend £40,000 on fuel a year then 10% is £4,000. dosnt take long to make your money back.

Jon

HarryMann
Admin/Mod
80-90 Mem No: 379

Post by HarryMann »

A pwm is a dc motor speed controler which will chop up the dc current into pulses,this helps keep down the heat in the cell and stops the runaway current problems.A good design for a pwm on the ZERO FOSSIL FUEL web site.

You can find these controllers in electric buggies, sometimes discarded at the local tip.. quite powerful ones too.

Hydrogen power and HHO discussed on BBC Radio 4 the other day, had nearly 1/2 an hour devoted to it. Made a case for using Hydrogenm generators 'now' rather than waiting for fuel-cells (if they ever arrive economcically)
Last edited by HarryMann on 01 Oct 2008, 12:49, edited 2 times in total.
The 80-90 Tech Wikipedia Your 1st port of call :idea

1.9TD Syncro Doka / Syncro Kastenwagen / 16" Kombi Camper
Syncronaut No. 1

VWlewis
80-90 Mem No: 2852

Post by VWlewis »

The topic of water powered cars was raised in the letters section of my engineering magazine this week ... The writer suggested the I.Mech.E. should consider accrediting the technology ... the website he mentioned was http://water-for-fuel.com.cn and the vendor has an email address of "runyourcaronwater@hotmail.com" This guy is selling the manual so you can make your own system ... and as usual understates the complexity of it. You have been warned!
VW Fan :D Learned to drive in a T2, then drove a T1, later a T4, then a T5 (and a few Audis and Passats)
Now a proud T3 Caravelle GL 2.1 DJ WBX owner: "Dora the Explorer" .. by my reckoning, a T15 Driver!
Dr T15 Speaks!