VW Engine Run On Water

LPG, Bio Diesel, Hydrogen, Fuel Cell Questions and Answers last answered over 2 years ago.
You may also want to visit the 80-90 Wiki(pedia) for a more structured index of T25 repair, maintenance, technical and ownership topics.

Moderators: User administrators, Moderators

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

By the way, latest techie information I have is that you need to be feeding in at least 5% of your fuel as hydrogen to actually make a mark on MPG.

Magic Bus, what kind of container are you using? I'm opting to make a big one from an industral inline water filter container.

Really worth watching this. Its a multi-fuel vehicle which can run on petrol, hydrogen, or LPG.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCI4WuCpZPE - timing for hydrogen is around TDC

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

How much is 5%, 5% of what?

How can you compare your fuel which is liquid to a gas?
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

petrol vaporises/atomises in the carb...

so it would be 5% of the fuel charge on the induction

or the cylinder capacity not sure which
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

Titus A Duxass
80-90 Mem No: 4475

Post by Titus A Duxass »

That's what I was thinking as well.
That means you would need a very large reservior to hold enough mixture to feed the engine at high revs.

We need to know:
a) how much fuel/air mixture is drawn in to the engine per cycle (not more than 2 litres),
b) how much of that mixture is fuel.
VW T3 GTi Camper 2,0l

kevtherev
80-90 Mem No: 2264

Post by kevtherev »

thats a given (somewhere!) there is a ratio of fuel to air.

not going to guess as it should be easy to find
AGG 2.0L 8V. (Golf GTi MkIII)

magic bus
80-90 Mem No: 3016

Post by magic bus »

cov kid

I used a coffe jar and 8 ss plates in my experimental unit,so far have gained 2.5 mpg using 6 amps.Most units ive read about are pulling 16 amps or so.Still more testing to do before i build a bigger one and add a p.w.m.

Most petrol engines run at 14.7 to 1 fuel air mix.If you use hydroxy with no other fuel you can run at 25 to 1.To run a 1.6 ltr engine would take 80ltr ish of hydroxy gas per min'.BOB BOYCE has built a 101 plate design that does just that,but is very complicated.Most homemade units are only producing 0.5 ltr per min,Which is enough to aid fuel combustion and cut emissions.

ZACH WEST has build a simpler booster to run his 250cc bike on hydroxy alone.

My aim is for a 20% fuel increas which i think is realistic,just to put that in real terms,if your getting 20mpg that will put you up to 24mpg.But thats still 20% off every ltr you buy.

This technology is nothing new,its been around for years,people are looking at it again because of the cost of fual.Water vapour injection could be another thing worth looking at,thats also been around for years and forgotten until now.

Ive got a p.d.f which explaines everything better than i can,p.m me with your e-mail and i will send it to you.Or check PANACEA ONLINE UNIVERSITY,or SMACKS BOOSTER home page.

You can also buy hydrogen boosters from e-bay.

If you want something to really get you thinking check out STANLEY MAYER or JOE CELL
are we there yet! 3016

buteux
80-90 Mem No: 5512

Water4gas

Post by buteux »

Im trying the same thing that magic bus has done, currently putting together 2 jars using the spiral wire version rather than the plates (see water4gas).
Quck question for magic bus really, where did you go in with your feeder pipe, is there a good place to do it without drilling etc,or just drilling one hole, and where to drill...

Some designs suggest also going into the air intake manifold for idle improvement, but I cant see how id get much extra on idle, fuel usage sensors usually show that unloaded closed throttle positions are very economical anyway, so anything to keep the design simpler suits me, the thought of drilling intake manifolds just scares me.

PS Where is the best place (easiest) for the + and - 12v connections. Somewhere thats only on with ignition would be best.

Cheers for any help or advice offered.
King of Frog Island
VW T25 Leisuredrive 1.9DG WaterCooled Petrol
Poptop
1985 B reg
Rollered Medium Blue LH5G

magic bus

Post by magic bus »

buteux

My engine is a 1y diesel,so i fed the hydroxy into the air intake,just drilled a hole and fixed the pipe into it.You could try that that and see how it goes.

I fitted a 30 amp relay fed off the diesel solenoid,then used an inline fuse to feed the cell through the switching contact on the relay.- went to the battery and + want to the battery via the relay.

Dont know if you have an electric fuel pump on your van,maybe you could feed a relay off that.Really any wire that becomes live when your engine is runing could be used to feed your relay.

I think if you look on the wiki there are drawings for split charger circuits,its just the same except your feeding your cell instead of a second battery.

Hope that helps,let us know how it goes.

P.S what are you thinking of using for your electrolyte.
are we there yet! 3016

buteux
80-90 Mem No: 5512

HHO

Post by buteux »

Just read this, sorry for the delay, I will be using baking soda.
At the moment im checking my fuel economy, i do the same run most days, so i figured use about a tank of gas, refill and fit the boosters.
Not quite finished building the tandem one, may get that finished this week, will get it all running in a couple of weeks when im empty.

Was thinking about LPG and subaru engine, but cant afford to do both at once and really want cost savings first.
But then i love the flat 4, so this idea seems worth a try.
(Not sure id throw a grand at LPGing my engine without a rebuild etc).

Anyway, its a bit of fun and it might save some money.
King of Frog Island
VW T25 Leisuredrive 1.9DG WaterCooled Petrol
Poptop
1985 B reg
Rollered Medium Blue LH5G

VWlewis
80-90 Mem No: 2852

hydrogen

Post by VWlewis »

It certainly is catching on .... have a look at this story!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7496331.stm

Perhaps the catch is that a piece of plastic comes from OIL :D

VW Lewis
VW Fan :D Learned to drive in a T2, then drove a T1, later a T4, then a T5 (and a few Audis and Passats)
Now a proud T3 Caravelle GL 2.1 DJ WBX owner: "Dora the Explorer" .. by my reckoning, a T15 Driver!
Dr T15 Speaks!

CovKid
Trader
80-90 Mem No: 3529

Post by CovKid »

Theres no magic solution to spiralling fuel costs but HHO is viable and certainly something you can have a go at yourself. As mentioned above, current draw is a crucial factor. The rough and ready 'plates in a jar' is a way to start although to do it properly, a square wave generator will improve things somewhat and hopefully bring down the amps being consumed.

You need 7% hydrogen to be making any appreciable difference so a big jar is way to go I think. The Meyers idea (for those following all this) used a significant amount of electronics on top but he claimed to be able to run on 100% water. This is born out by the japanese release of a car that can run on any water including tea, so the technology does work.

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

does anyone have any pics of prototypes they have built? Would be great for the rest of us to see
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!

hammy44
80-90 Mem No: 3462

Post by hammy44 »

any updates on how well this is working ie fuel savings is engine running smoother etc
jim
member 3462
1988 autohomes karisma 2.1dj

magic bus

Post by magic bus »

So far ive got to 32mpg from a base line of 29mpg.My engine is a 1y 1.9 diesel.When i did the base line check there was only me in the van.The 32mpg im getting is with 5 of us in the van with all of our camping gear.I mostly run around at 60-65ish.This guy seems to be getting better results www.watervan.co.uk .All this is with straight dc electrolis.

cov kid is spot on when talking about square waves they will improve things.But you will need a pulse width modulator(pwm) to generate the waves.A pwm is a dc motor speed controler which will chop up the dc current into pulses,this helps keep down the heat in the cell and stops the runaway current problems.A good design for a pwm on the ZERO FOSSIL FUEL web site.

When i get a good working cell ill be fitting a pwm to it,so enyone looking at building or working with pwm's please get in touch :)

Good luck to anyone building hho cells,let us know how its going.

Ive got an hho pdf for anyone that wants it ,its free :)
are we there yet! 3016

dugcati
80-90 Mem No: 3825

Post by dugcati »

Ive got an hho pdf for anyone that wants it ,its free

you have PM
It is by will alone that I set my 'van' in motion!